Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Cylce Wings

AshleyBanks

I know its been covered lots of times and I have searched the archives and found lots of useful info. Seems bigheads and adhesive are the way to go.

My question is around the suggested adhesive of bigheads PU or sikaflex 292 this may be my crap searching ability but I am unable to find either to purchase.

I know I get my bigheads from bighead.co.uk so am sorted there. Anyone know of a supplier of sikaflex 292 in black please?

@Johnathan I live in Frimley Surrey happy to buy online just couldn't seem to find it will search for marine companies see if that is fruitful.

@Titanium7 will take a look at tigerseal assume that it has been tried and tested on other cars. I don't do many track days but have had both wings fly off on me on 2 different occasions already so want to make sure it is solid.

Have grp wings held on with big heads and tigerseal since 2009 and no problems. The sealant was applied under and over the stays. Also used to hold rubber mud flaps and they are still there as well. I think it's all down to the preparation.

As far as I'm aware 292 is only available in white, don't make the mistake of buying 291 in black as this is not the same stuff. Personally I'd use the BigHeads own FS Acrylic, 1 pack can do 8 BigHeads, it sets very quickly and it is really strong (voice of experience from when I had to remove one!) - it's the same stuff we fixed your wing on with at Combe a couple of years ago. I might have a spare one unused in the garage I could send you, let me check.

@Steve Thanks for the offer but would not want to take your last lot of that stuff you'll need for next time I attend Castle Combe :) or for the next person that has a wing fall off. Just checking your guide on your webpage aswell looks good will use that when I come to fit.

@Mike Do you know anyone using them? Think I may just go with the tried and tested as my past experience of wings deciding to depart from car is not great and don't want to give Ian Reynolds more ammo I also don't want my new shinny carbon wings to fall off.

Think I'll find a tube of the sikaflex 292 and hope its not visible.

OK, well it's hear should you need it. I used Sika 292 on my carbon wings then just a tiny squirt of satin black paint on each once it had set meant they were not noticeable.

RH7 - if the wings are being bonded on to the stays then I'm sure that's fine, but if bonding to a 1" square bighead fastener I don't know how well it would cope.

Ashley, I had 2 steel bigheads fail on me in the past year... The welds on the wire loops broke off, and also the wire loops themselves wear through due to vibrations from the wingstay. I replaced them with Ian's plastic bigheads a year ago, and they are fine at the moment.. can't predict the future, obviously.

Mike