Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero screen - please advise which mirrors are best

zetec

Considered saving yourself the centre mirror? You only require one driver's side external mirror and one other mirror to be legal.

I removed mine from the 7 in 2007 and I haven't looked back since. ( *tongue* hoho!)

Also stopped using centre mirror in everything else I drive (tilt it up to the headlining). Takes a short time to adjust but actually eventually inceases "mirror awareness".

Ever looked in the centre rear view mirror to find it blocked by a passenger's head, van bulkhead, luggage in the back, a car on a trailer, etc, then had to look again in one or both of the side mirrors? Wastes approx 1-2 sec of information acquisition and decision making time. I don't recalll any time where the side mirrors have be unavailable on demand.

The center mirror usually has to be used in conjunction with one or both of the external mirrors anyway to gain sufficient information. Using the side mirrors increases spatial perception and general all round observation.

Also in the 7 with lowered floors the scuttle mounted (aeroscreen) centre mirror occasionally blocks forward visibility, for example when going over the brow of a hill or hump.

Also saves weight and complexity.

Peter

Irrespective of the supplier/brand you choose, I think I would prefer convex mirrors for the sides. I forgot to specify this when I bought mine, and the flat side mirrors sometimes seem as though they would be better as convex.

I like how your thread title asks which are best, but your post asks which are cheapest! *tongue*

Have a look on Car builder solutions. If you've got a carbon aero, they do some very good carbon effect ones, you really can't tell the difference, so you don't need to spend silly money! I've had them on my car for probably 4 years now, and they still look new.

Personally, I would have a center mirror, as it's the most stable one if you're trying to figure out if that black BMW or Volvo following you has some extra lights behind the grille! Only thing I had to do, was cut down the stalk of the center one, as it sat too high.

I have two aero sevens - my Caterham (SPA mirrors) and my Westie (Racetech). The Ractech are easier to adjust (you need to take the SPA side ones off, fiddle, refit, remove, fiddle...).

Aside from that, not much to choose between them. I think you get more choice of sizes, stem-lengths etc. with SPA, but I'm happy with both.

As an aside, I used to be a stalwart convex-sides, flat center (for distance judgement) advocate - but I picked up a spare aero screen with another set of racetech's - and I pinched the convex center to mount on the Westie (hung from the cage rather than dash-mounted) - and I much prefer it. The loss of the distance-judgement is outweighed by having no blind spots when combined with the convex sides.