Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine sounds "lumpy" ...

glasgow

This morning while I was getting the seven out of the garage to get ready fore the 5 hours drive to GTKY7, I heard the engine as if it is running on 3 cylinders. Oh, nooo... nice weather and I should drive the car down south *evil* Anyway, car back into the garage and will sort it out next week, but a few questions please:

A) how to remove the leads from the top of the spark plug please (yeh, silly question I know, but I am not familiar with those curved caps)

B) I will remove one lead at a time to locate which one is the misfiring cylinder, but If I want to replace the spark plugs, what is the code for them please (K series, 2003, 1.8 Xpower)

C) what gap measurement I should adjust the plugs to?

D) I don't have a torque wrench, I will just tighten the plugs with plug socket - is this ok?

E) Should I have the engine upto the operating temp before I remove the plugs (in order to ovoid snapping or over tightening the plugs)?

F) I don't want to think of a worse scenario but if it is not just an old spark plugs what could be the other reason for the lumpy engine noise please?

Cheers

Ahmed

I'm not an expert by any means on this but to get this going here is my 2p worth...

a. Use pliers to grip the top of the caps, can be tricky if the contact grips hard the spark plug...perservere and manipulate gently the caps whilst pulling

b. NGK BCPR7ES

c. 0.9mm IIRC

d. Yes, not too tight and a touch of copaslip would be good

e. Not necessary IMO

f. I'll leave that to the expertise of Blatchat 😶‍🌫️ Do search on Misfire...lengthy post from April 14 could be useful, don;t know how to link posts!

Good luck!

If your car is EU3 with coil-on-plug coil packs (not sure if this applies to EU2 too as not familiar with them) it uses a wasted-spark system with each coil pack driving two plugs. the two plugs and coil form a series circuit, so disconnecting one lead will kill BOTH plugs - making it harder to work out which one is faulty (the engine probably won't run on 2).

If it really is running on three cylinders there is a very quick and easy way to identify which cylinder is "down".

Run the engine for about 30 seconds with the car in neutral, then lick your fingers and quickly pat each exhaust header. Three will give a sizzling noise and one will give nothing at all.

No responsibility accepted for burns, etc. Common sense must be applied here to avoid injury.

Edited by - Roger King on 2 May 2014 14:10:22

Thank you Alastair for the information

Virden, Didn't run the engine for long as it has never happened with me before. had the car for nearly 4 years and never happened

Revilla, not sure of the type i have but here is some of pics

here

here

here

Charlie and Capt: car was not wet

I don't know what EU2 and EU3 are but hope the pics are clear enough for you expert men to tell me more information about removing the plug caps please....

Have to go now to start my journey to GTKY7... But keep the post coming please...

cheers

When did you last run the car?

I've just fired mine up after the winter (lives outside) and it wasn't terribly happy. Lumpy and coughing/farting from time to time. I checked the two most-easily accessible plugs - no obvious issues, clearly needs a good run to clear them up a bit, chucked some octane booster in the tank (fuel is probably a year old!) and fired it up again. It certainly can't be described as smooth as silk - but it seems much happier. I'll re tax it (and the Westie) over the weekend and mebbe get it out on the local roads to work out what needs to be done this year.

Oh, that reminds me - another *thumbup* for Powervamp/odyssey 'batteries. There's no parasitic load on this car, thankfully, but it does live outside and hasn't been run for six months, I guess. The battery was happy to churn the engine until it finally pulled some fuel through and would sustain ignition - I used to have to do various rain-dances, ritual-sacrifice and so on to get the engine to burst into life after winter - usually in a panic on the morning of the mot...

its eu3

mine has done this a couple of times and its cleared itself as it warmed.

GTKY7 would have been the perfect place to learn about tracing the fault and fixing.

I think the plugs are NLP100290 in rover part numbers. you can get them at your local land rover agent - just ask for plugs from a 2003 1.8 petrol freelander.

Just an update....

The car sorted out itself... 😬 Turned the engine on today, at first the same misfire again with some white fumes from the exhaust. then gradually setteled down when engine reached the operating temp... Took her for half an hour drive and was completely fine.... Any explanation please?

Thank you

• Area Representative

ECU - it's like a small computer.

Like your PC it goes a bit wonky occasionally (for no obvious reason) and needs to be rebooted.

It's probably a similar thing.

Glad it's sorted - you missed a good day at Stoneleigh on Saturday.

OR - it could just be a little damp/condensation in the wrong place.

Edited by - Paul Richards on 6 May 2014 10:55:17

Quoting Glasgow: 
This morning while I was getting the seven out of the garage to get ready fore the 5 hours drive to GTKY7, I heard the engine as if it is running on 3 cylinders. Oh, nooo... nice weather and I should drive the car down south *evil* Anyway, car back into the garage and will sort it out next week, but a few questions please:

A) how to remove the leads from the top of the spark plug please (yeh, silly question I know, but I am not familiar with those curved caps)

B) I will remove one lead at a time to locate which one is the misfiring cylinder, but If I want to replace the spark plugs, what is the code for them please (K series, 2003, 1.8 Xpower)

C) what gap measurement I should adjust the plugs to?

D) I don't have a torque wrench, I will just tighten the plugs with plug socket - is this ok?

E) Should I have the engine upto the operating temp before I remove the plugs (in order to ovoid snapping or over tightening the plugs)?

F) I don't want to think of a worse scenario but if it is not just an old spark plugs what could be the other reason for the lumpy engine noise please?

Cheers

Ahmed

For future reference.... Take it to someone who knows what they are doing