Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fog Light problem - MOT failure

flaps7

I think all my tintops have done this right from 1988 - noticed it then that the fog warning light went out on main beam and came back on when dropping back to dip. Some have allowed the rear fog to remain on when only on sidelights at the front, others haven't.

The integrale of 1992 vintage switches out the rear fog on main beam and side lights, unless the front fogs are switched on at the same time.

If the test station still fails, simply go to another. After politely asking them to check their own cars to see how their lights operate ;-)

Bri

"Vehicle and Operator Services Agency. The MOT Inspection Manual. Private Passenger and Light Commercial Vehicle Testing". Issue Date April 2013.

1.3 Rear Fog Lamps

Note: A rear fog lamp is permitted to operate independently of headlamp, position lamp or ignition systems.

So, if it is permitted to operate independently doesn't that suggest that it is more usual for it to have some dependency?

Reason for Rejection

f. adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp.

I would take this as a test for earthing problems, ie fog lamp pulsing with the indicators, or visibly dimming when brake lights come on.

Edited by - LazerBrain on 2 May 2014 13:54:32

Rang VOSA again and spoke to very nice man again...John. He was full of apologies that the matter remains unresolved. He tells me he is ringing test centre NOW and that I should make my way there to be issued certificate. Not holding my breath but will make my way there.

Rick

I have a test certificate.

VOSA (nice John) told Mr MOT man that the manual is badly worded and they are going to issue an amendment. Not holding my breath. The MOT station was Kwik Fit at Welwyn Garden. As I mentioned at the beginning of this saga the 'test' guys were very OK. The problem is/was their interpretation of 'not affected by any other lamp' and to be fair one could argue that full beam is another lamp. As LazerBrain says, it's a check for poor earth etc.

You fellows got me thinking, so I went to check:

7 (2008): rear fog comes ON with both dipped and main, and is independent of the ignition switch.

Mondeo (62-reg): twin rear fogs come ON with both dipped and main, but are ignition-controlled.

In fact, when I checked the 7, nothing came on at all to start with. It turned out the RF bulb had blown, so I'm glad I checked.

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
De minimis non curat lux.

Jonathan

Ah, I see you're up to your old tricks. A bit (soap) flaky, that one. 😬

JV

In readiness for a forthcoming MoT I checked all the lights on mine yesterday and also found fog light deactivates when main beam is turned on. I was pondering over cause and stumbled on this rather helpful thread completely by accident. That saved a good bit time and effort. 😬 They are all like that sir (nearly).

• 3 years later...

I have just had this issue raised as something to look into and fix for next year. Diligently looked at Blatchat first before getting the multi meter out. Is this all down to interpretation or has the documentation been updated and they need to review it?

I am not looking forward to next years MOT.  Nobody like to be told how to do their job.

Phil

P.S. They did not find this ‘Fault’ the previous 4 years of testing!

Thanks Jonathan.

Reading through the testers manual downloaded from here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles

Section 1.3 Rear Fog Lamps. Says test the fog light with dipped head lights. Also make sure Fog light ‘is not adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp’.

All good so far

Section 1.7. Headlamps. Method of inspection 5c is an issue. Make sure the Full Beam headlight ‘is not adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp’. It is the also in document as a reason for rejection 5c.

So Full Beam Headlights are turned off when I turn on the Fog lights. My honest interpretation is that this constitutes an adverse affect. It should fail on Full Beam functionality.

I am still not looking forward to next years MOT.

Phil

When my car was prepared by CC for IVA last year the flash switch was removed from the dash, tie wrapped up and a bung fitted.  Apparently a flash function is not required for IVA so I assume it’s also not required for MOT.