Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Gauge stopped working

abbot

Here is a summary of this mornings problem solving activities:

1 Upside down under the dash to try to see if anything is loose. Nothing looked out of place but solved another problem. There is a large plastic cylindrical tube that the harness goes into, it was rattling about behind the wiper motor, moved it and tie wrapped, annoying rattle from behind the dash now quiet. *wink*

2 Removed boot floor to get access to the top of the tank

3 Took the terminals off the sender unit and shorted them together - Fuel Gauge goes to the full condition: Conclusion Fuel gauge OK *smile*

4 Removed the sender unit from the tank and tested the resistance with multimeter: reading goes up and down consistant with the position of the arm: Conclusion Sender Unit OK *smile*

5 So if gauge and sender are ok unless it is an intermittent problem in the harness it should work

6 Put it all back together and it worked, but while screwing down the boot floor it stopped working. so lifted the boot floor again

7 on the female spade connectors I pinched closed the terminals a fraction. This appears to be the root cause of the problem as I put it all back together, went for a blat and all works OK *smile*

Problem Solved *wavey*

I am sure It wont be like my one sticking *mad*

One of the rule changes for racing was only plastic fuel tanks are allowed, the trouble is they distort quite badly with the reaction to the petrol.

Mine has concaved on the front flat section enough to jam the float, I adjusted it and it has now concaved even more and jams it again 😔

Chris *wavey*