Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Domestic hot water temperature

robert green

Thanks for the replies. I did a search, but missed the previous post, so thanks for that.

Working on the basis that the boiler can only heat so much water at a time, it seems to make sense to have it hotter, and dilute so that two showers for example can run together. If it keeps the legionella at bay so much the better. I wasn't sure if domestic boilers worked more efficiently at a particular temperature, but it seems not.

Thanks all.

Working on the basis that the boiler can only heat so much water at a time

A boiler can only put so much energy into water. You can have lots of water at a lower temperature, or less water at a higher temperature. I suppose there's some ultimate limit on flow rate, but generally the flow is limited by the temperature you set, if I understand correctly.

Legionella is not an issue in a combination boiler. I won't say impossible but more improbable *biggrin*

The mention of Legionella easily causes excitement 😬 but in reality it is quite rare, best leave it at that *smile*

As has been said, lower the better. It is quite common under the renewable energy scheme to store hot water at 45C for short periods, then once a week heat it up to 80C to kill off any risk of Legionella.

Ask yourself why heat up water to 70C then cool it down to wash *rolleyes*