Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Please recommend someone to fit zetec camshafts

zetec

Quoting 7 wonders of the world: 
If your using Kent or Piper and assuming the valve clearances are currently correct they will be a straight swap as the base circles are ground to give the correct clearances based on the OE ones.

I fitted Kent (Raceline 200) cams to a brand view 2L Blacktop and the clearances were way way out, nearly all being much tighter and I had to get 11 re ground.

Quoting Phil B: 
Craig,

Which cams are you going to fit? I've got the Racekine 200s which you can time up using the standard Ford setting tool. The only fun and games is measuring clearances and selecting new shims, or are you running a silvertop?

As mine were all too thick I had them ground down by an engineering company who have a magnetic grinder, not sure if it was cheaper than buying new ones but it allowed me to get them to the exact tollorences.

To set the valve timing, get number 1 at TDC with a dial gauge, then get the cams in position and slide a length of 4mm angle or iron bar though the rear cam slots to lock the cams in position.

As always Craig, you have my number if I can be of assistance.

Guy

Hi Craig,

I had the same situation as Guy, but I bought new shims (6 I think, as you can swap them around) from my local Ford dealer. As I grew up rebuilding Hillman Imp engines, swapping shims around to get the valve clearances right is no big deal.

All you have to remember is to make sure that the crank is rotated away from TDC as you check each valve clearance to avoid any problems. Then when you are all ready to time up, set the cams to their TDC position and carefully rotate the crank back to TDC.

I have the cam setting tool and TDC pin for the Blacktop if you want to borrow them

(I'm in Horsham)

Phil

Quoting 7 wonders of the world: 
Guy,

Assuming the replacement cams are more performance oriented then the OE timing slots with the locking bar stands a very good chance of being way out - these should be clocked in to establish running clearances etc and then adjusted on the rollers to optimise performance.

Not sure I understand your question as I do not have verniers fitted, just standard pulleys.

Fitting high performance cams is exactly the same as fitting standard OE ones.

At the opposite end of the cams to the pulley, your see a slot in the end of the cams (this slot is exactly the same on Standard and Kent/Piper cams).

With the bolts on both cam pulleys loose, line the slots up insert a locking bar which locks both the cams together and the bar sits flat on the face of the head, the bar will only go in when the cams are BOTH in the correct position, set No.1 to TDC with a dial gauge, make sure the engine is still at TDC, then tighten both the cam pulley bolts and remove locking tool. job done

The only way I would ever entertain adjusting individual cam timing is if I had verniers fitted.

Guy

Hi Guy,

There's no point at all in investing in performance cams and then failing to time them in correctly for the individual engine - this makes no sense at all.

Even the timing figures given by the manufacturers are again only a guide - Kent / Piper / Newman / Cosworth etc cannot know what every single engine requires are there are simply too many variables, in the same way every engine map is subtly different.

Why not fit verniers and time to a mid point after checking max / min clearances and then adjust on the rollers prior to final mapping?