Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Datalogging

gundersen

I would like to add some datalogging to my setup, possible with some video. Are there any clear winners in the current datalogging lineup?

I have been looking at:

o Race Technoly - DL1

o Stack DVL - Clubman

o Racekeeper

o VBox lite

Any one good that I have missed? The setup will be used for trackdays, and I expect most of the data to come from the CAN bus.

I would probably disregard Stack on price (both initial and adding things).

VBox And Racekeeper have proved popular more recently. You can overlay the data on video very easily although neither will do HD as standard.

DL1 is probably more flexible and the software is very powerful - but it is not plug and play, and doesn't come with video unless you have the Video 4 which is expensive. The software does allow you to import video (incl HD) but you need an additioanl licence to use it. And the overlay of data is a post-processing exercise.

Also look at specific features like predictive lap timing (if you want it). This sometimes requires particular versions/options which can ramp up the cost.

I have a DL1. Some analysis I did on it is here.

I have a DL1 and a VBox Lite.

DL1 has more powerful data analysis, and has the ability to plug in loads of sensors through different voltage drop ports. Video is a faff and the Video 4 that my friend has is buggy. I've never managed to make predictive times work, but it does have shift lights built into the dash3 *wink*

VBox has plug and play technology and they're about to launch (of have just launched) better video, although only 720P against 580L that I have. Predictive lap timing is brilliant in qualifying. Actually a true performance advantage, as you can back off and make a space on a lap that isn't going to be your best and make sure you have a gap for the next lap (or push on if it's a good 'un).

VBox does not allow lots of additional sensors to be plugged in. I've not actually added any.

When assessing the data, VBox software is easier, but less stable than DL1. Stability may well come from the fact that it's not dealing with video. DL1 is more accurate for trying to work out what is happening, but you can't look at the actual car positioning from the video.

Finally, note that the VBox doesn't have an accelerometer. It's GPS only. The DL1 is GPS + accelerometers, and as such gives better accuracy of the trace. DL1 also tends to work better where GPS is weak, presumably as a result.

No experience of other systems, but Race Keeper are a sponsor of the Grads, so they're to be considered!

Jez

I have an AIM MXL dash and data logger. There is a software for data analysis.

It has a GPS antenna plugged into it.

It has a CAN conexxion with my Emerald ECU.

A brake sensor is plugged into it.

(A fuel level sensor is plugged too).

AIM is selling a camera but it´s too expensive for me (£800).

I rather bought an HD camera (with remote control, ext. mic, 12v input) and Racerender (cheap software that synchronize the data and the video).

This is an

of the result.

Thanks for all the replies *thumbup*

@Charles: I have tried to compile the prices for a common configuration for the above systems, and you are correct that Stack is the most expensive solution. But not by a large margin.

DL1 Club (incl 15 can channels): £839

GoPRO control: £178,8

== £1017,8 (excl. gopro camera)

Stack DVL Clubman Starter Kit: £1080

Stack GPS and G-Force: £442.80

== £1522,788

Race Keeper SE System Kit: £1260

== £1260

VBox Lite: £1230

== £1230 (2 x camera)

Since I work as a software developer I like the fact that the DL1 seems to have the most advanced software, but other than that I don't see much that sets the apart.

@Mark: Unfortunately I don't have a stack dash, so that doesn't help the decision *biggrin*

@Jez: Thank you for the input, as above I like the idea of the complex/powerful software of the DL1.

@Catastrada: AIM is out for now, as they only seem to do an integrated dash solution. But thanks for the input and nice video *smile*.

Video VBox takes CAN input (straight from the EBDII port, or via passive sensor on the cable) I *think* each CAN config requires a specific setup file from Racelogic. Having said that, Racelogic seem very helpful in getting things working.

In terms of user-friendliness as an organisation, RaceLogic (VBox) far exceeds Race Technology (DL1). I did have a problem with my VBox, where they were completely honest and said they'd seen the problem a few times (the video and data became unsynched by about 3 seconds) and had no idea what was causing it, but once it had occurred it would occur every time I used it unless I did a full software reset. They then sent me an idiot-proof guide to doing this.

Race Technology seems to be a bit of a cottage industry, if I'm honest, and I struggled to get an answer to my question and it took an age for them to repair a minor fault.

It's good to see that they're finally moving past Compact Flash cards as a storage medium thought *eek*

Jez

Have you looked at the RT Dash2 Pro? it combines the DL1 with a digital dash, I've got the standard DASH2 with a separate DL1 + CANbus to an Emerald which seems to work very well.

They do bundles/deals so it can be worth looking out for these.

In terms of being a cottage industry they are certainly not a huge company, but it works both ways. They have been really helpful in my experience, to the extend of spending 2-3 hours on the phone on a Friday night helping me fix a self inflicted issue. Not sure you're going to get that from Stack etc.

Cheers

Rob

Thank you guys for all your input. It seems that there is no clear winner, but that just means that none of the systems are useless *biggrin*

Seeing as the prices for a full system are quite high, I decided to kill two birds with one stone build my own using an Arduino with GPS, CAN-BUS and accelerometer. This way I (hopefully) get a datalogger and I get something to do during the winter. I know that I will not be able to develop analysis software to compete with the professional systems, but with a bit of effort I should be able to do some nice trackday videos using Race Render for overlays. And at a total price of around £100 it can't go all wrong 😬