Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine fire

jackb_ms

Carry an extinguisher somewhere handy i.e. not in the boot - you won't have time for faffing with poppers, Velcro and rummaging among whatever you've got in there.

Squirt the extinguisher down the bonnet louvres - don't whip the bonnet off and give the fire lots of air to chew on.

Be fully insured, in case it's a proper BBQ.

I was travelling at 60mph when a bango coupling loosen on my front Weber. 😳 First I got a spray of fuel on the windscreen, then it caught. I killed engine, emergency stop, followed by rapid exit, then grabbed the 2kg powder extinguisher i had mounted on floor in front of the passenget seat. Lots of squirts through looves and the fire was killed. Damage ? A few wires, new fuel line and a vintage crackled paint finish to the first set of looves. Luckly I had a separate kill switch fitted, had I depended on the ignition key to kill the engine, the damage could have been so much worse......locked steering 😳

I was not thinking about Caterham related fires.

The other week I rang the fire brigade when I spotted a Merc slowing down with flame coming out from the engine bay, and I realise Ididn't know the best course of action apart from calling the Fire Brigade.

Jack