Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spa Mirror Mounts

Smiffy69

I have a pair of Spa Mirrors fitted to my aero screen and given that we are now entering the winter months I have stuck the windscreen back on. The current configuration is fitted with those pillar adaptors and standard Caterham mirrors (which are carp compared to the reward view of the Spa ones)

So I was wondering has any one fitted Spa Mirrors to the Windscreen Pillars?

If so how did you do it ?

Is there an adaptor available that will take the ball end of the mirror and allow reuse of the treaded hole in the pillar?

Please include me for a copy of your picture - I have the same issue - bought the mirrors but have no way of attaching them.

I believe there were mounts made (Nifty?)

The Westie boys drill and tap an m6 thread in the stanchion but I don't know what that would do for structural rigidity??

Graeme

if you buy a cheap pair with a screw fit and a ball connection you use the fitting and the better mirror. I had a cheap set fitter to my car and it went to caterham for some work. where they broke one and used part of the old mirror. to fit a very expensive one.

I have these on mine. Used one existing hole and just drilled and tapped an extra hole in the widscreen stanchion. The doors dont open fully with this config but the mirror view is much better and you dont get the vibration the way you do when they are mounted on the doors.

Chris Tchorznicki at Seven & Elans in Ayer, Massachusetts USA makes an aluminium adaptor plate to mount the Spa mirror mounts on the Caterham stanchions, using existing holes.

http://www.sevenselans.com/partsforsale.htm

It works a treat. Add a couple of Belleville washers to keep the mirror arm and head from swivelling too easily, and you have a fine setup.

Vet,

I used some 2mm steel plate I had hanging around. Once finished I spray painted with galv paint.

Pics sent to those who sent me a blatmail.

I use Spa convex for centre mirror for better vision, but my drivers side is flat type. I don't have a passenger mirror.

Just spoken to Demon Tweeks' Caterham Guru...

He says they don't offer a mount/adapter for Spa mirrors but do for the "Race part" (presume Racetech) mirror.

He suggested the best way of mounting them on a windscreen is as per MartinH's comment - drill/tap a second hole on the stanchion. He added that this arrangement does make adjustment and tightening the mirror awkward though.

I think if I go for a pair of these mirrors, I'll follow andy_h's lead and fabricate a simple bracket which I'll secure with the sidescreen hinge bolts.