Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OVER-HEATING K-SERIES

callumskeat

I have a year 2000 Caterham Series 3 with 1.6 16V K-Series engine. It has some 16,500 miles on the clock, full service history etc. We have had the car since late May (and just love it!)

But when sitting in traffic for a long period on a hot day, it tends to get hot and the red overheating light kicks in at 100 C. Whern we get going it returns to reasonable temperatures. Can I ask if this is usual? Is there a fix if not. The fan kicks in quite happily and screams away, coolant levels are correct, the radiator cap is new etc. On Normally, namely an average summer day, it is as good as gold. With the recent weather there are no problems.

Grateful for any 7 wisdom here.

Many Thanks

Callum

Callum, that's normal behaviour, in stationary traffic with no airflow over the radiator the water temp will raise until it reaches the fan switch activation temp (98 I think on a k). Fan will stay on until it reaches the lower, switch off temp, it will cycle round that until you start moving again.

The fan switch is in the rad (brass hex head from memory) and will have 2 temps stamped on it so you can look at what yours is rated at as their different ones. Your red overheating light, I suspect is simply telling you the fan is on not that it's overheating (I assume it's not the alternator light glowing due to the greater current draw).

Graham

oh my my last woe... been through this the hard way (M4 in ambietn temp of 25 degrees!)

In my view you have some air in the system - my best fix was bleed out and refill... properly so:

A/. in principle you are not experienceing anything untowards

B/. Ensure your coolant is well bled (k series propblem but not as bad as they say - use min 50/50 and well bled - if you have silicon hoses squeeeze to clear air)

C/.Fan swich is planned for 98,,, thats good. There are variants at 95... but as you are is good.

D/. EVERYONE HAS ADVISED OVERIDES - BUT THE BEST 2 CATERHAM K TEAMS I KNOW SAY NO... LEAVE AS IS.

Callum not sure where you are - but after 2 x k series and 30k miles I experienced huge coolant issues in July thisy ear - sorted after some sensible discussion and cost only a few £. Feel free to call 07584 250203

Edited by - rynicolson on 13 Oct 2013 01:27:42

He is possibly in Gillingham, Kent *tongue*

Another contender is a seized ball valve inside the head where the small hose exits at the front. Remove the hose and poke a small screwdriver in to see if the ball moves.

If you are still struggling, have a word with Richard Young at Automotive Engineering in Uckfield. 01825 760545. He is the AR for the Spotted Dog meet and has his own garage business where he works on a lot of Sevens *thumbup*

Callum

I experienced exactly what you describe, plus a tendency to keep increasing in temp when driving on motorways. Mine is a 98, 1.8K Supersport. To cut a long story short it turned out to be a leaking inlet manifold gasket ( mine was still the original black one, not the improved a Green one, you can see by looking at the stub sticking out of the side of the manifold at the back of the engine.) and a pinhole in the water rail by the forward mounting bracket. Since sorting these issues the temp goes up to just under 100 and just sits there.

Ed

*thumbup* on what Graham King said, sounds to me like totally normal behaviour. No air flow means hot coolant, means the fan kicks in. As long as the temperature then drops to normal levels and the fans turns off again, all is well *smile*

Yes the k-series coolant system can contains its share of gremlings, but nothing that Callum has said suggest that he is affected...yet.

Ian

I am on a 86 Deg Thermostat, and I have also not calibrated the temperature sensor. Mine does fluctuate between 80-96, depending on how car is being driven and ambient temp, but the main difference this year is the fact it has been steady as against steadily climbing at speed or in high ambient temps. I have also not needed to top up the coolant in 2.5k miles.

As Gunderson pointed out Callum does not appear to have the issues I had, however mine started out with the same symptoms and got worse over time.

Ed