Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Dry Sump ?

cskip

I am just about to embark on gathering the bits for converting my 2.0 VX from a wet to Dry Sump. 2 questions:

1. Does the 3 stage pump (made by pace?) supplied by the likes of SBD and QED fit on the drivers side of the engine? I have a fear that it will foul the chassis rail. And what bracket is needed to make it work?

2. Has anyone found a cunning way to fit the dry sump tank without cutting down the passenger foot well? E.g. fitted the tank in front of the engine, or used a smaller, narrower tank in front of the footwell.

Any advice gratefully received.

Edited by - cskip on 25 Sep 2013 22:12:05

I had a 2.0vx and the Caterham pump I had was mounted on the drivers side under the front of the throttle bodies. I also had a tank made to fit in front of the engine which took some the heat away from the cockpit and as you say meant I could keep the passenger footwell extension. But it did move some weight forward although I couldn't tell any difference in handling if I am honest.

The car has gone now ☹️ but I have some pictures, bm me if you would like me to send them over. They are only whole shots of the engine bay but will give you an idea.

Michael.

I have the Titan pump not the pace but think they both go on drivers side, also I did cut out the footwell and have a pace tank. There is a brise tank that fits in front of the engine. There should be lots in the archive about this. Sorry couldn't help more. Ps qed only did the Titan scav pump when I did conversion as this is what the vx race cars used.

The Pace pump fits on the drivers side. You are right that it all gets a bit busy down there. I went round the houses on the tank side when I converted. I looked at bell housing , kidney in front of cam-cover and the weird shape (Brise I think) tank that sits on the end of the footwell. I ended up with a tall but narrow tank on the end of a semi shortened footwell. As a passenger you'd have to be well over 6' to be concerned at the legroom.

BM me if you would like a photo of my install.

I have the Titan pump which is mounted on the drivers side and is clamped between the block and the engine mount.

I see AT Power now do a system that looks like it goes on the passenger side.

Can't help with an alternative tank position as i have a large Pace tank as here

As AVES suggests, not really an issue with leg room and there's plenty of free space in that area of the engine bay.

Quoting Jon Stewart: 
I have the Titan pump which is mounted on the drivers side and is clamped between the block and the engine mount.

I see AT Power now do a system that looks like it goes on the passenger side.

Can't help with an alternative tank position as i have a large Pace tank as here

As AVES suggests, not really an issue with leg room and there's plenty of free space in that area of the engine bay.

You'll see from Jon's install that your manifold type is relevant. I wouldn't get Jon's tank in as I have the standard Caterham comp manifold.

My tank only actually holds around 3.25 litres of oil. I have a tall oil filter to increase the system capacity but have never had issues.

Hi Matthew,

I previously had the competition 4 into 1 with that same tank but then i don't know how short my shorthened footwell is.

The manifold in the photo was from a company in Basildon (but i think you know that already *wink*) with some slight changes to lengths from the jig they already had.

I don't need to pay any commission do I? *smile*

Great info thanks. Some follow on questions:

1. AVES - Why should I not use the SBD sump pan? (I was thinking of getting one of there sump kits with pump...) Caterham no longer show their sump pan as available.

2. So both the Titan and Pace pumps will fit on the drivers side without chassis mods, but what bracket is needed?

3. Who sells the Brise tank? I have checked their site and doesn't give much info.

I am coming around the idea of a Pace tank in front of a cut down foot well.

I forgot to mention that I spoke to someone at QED (who clearly didn't want to talk to me) and they stated that their dry sump kit was not suitable for a Caterham. The pump would foul on the chassis rail. Apparently I need to talk to Caterham... Can't say that I am in a hurry to talk to them again.

Quoting cskip: 
Great info thanks. Some follow on questions:

1. AVES - Why should I not use the SBD sump pan? (I was thinking of getting one of there sump kits with pump...) Caterham no longer show their sump pan as available.

2. So both the Titan and Pace pumps will fit on the drivers side without chassis mods, but what bracket is needed?

3. Who sells the Brise tank? I have checked their site and doesn't give much info.

1. Ask Steve Mell . The SBD sump creates a step twixt sump and bellhousing . Hit that on a bump or raised ironwork as Steve did and it makes one of a mess. Sump is a problem as they are NLA From Caterham. I've often wished for a bulk buy from Titan - id certainly have one . My Ex K2RUM pan is ok now but it would be reassuring to have a spare.

2. As Jon says above the Pace pump fits between engine mount and block

3. Brise, strangely *smile*. There was an article in LF a long time ago about it. sits on top on footwell and then drops down the well. Basically an enlarged right angle

Edited by - AVES on 26 Sep 2013 22:59:42

Ssshh I've a spare dry sump pan but it's not for sale, sorry.

Had to buy when it came up purely as cc don't make them anymore. It's not in great shape as its been damaged (missing large section of fin) it was welded up and it holds oil ok so good for a spare.

Hi

Ive done the same as AVES and had a bespoke oil tank made to fit infront of a semi short footwell. My son is 5 11 and we;ve just come back from a trip to Spa and the ring. His only complaint was that the footwell end plate got rather warm and gradually cooked his feet a bit!

Some heat shield will solve that

Gary