Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wanted: Tamiya Caterham 1:12 unbuilt

Lotus Boy

Hi,

Before going on eBay I just thought I would check on here...long shot but...

does anyone happen to have a Tamiya Caterham Seven 1:12 kit that they haven't yet built sitting collecting dust in the cupboard/loft and would be happy to move on?

I am after the flared arch BDR model (fitted with prisoner wheels).

Thanks

David

Edited by - Lotus boy on 1 Sep 2013 21:55:32

I have the JPE version which I am still intending to build someday - had it approx eleven years and the eyesight close up isnt just as good as it was so I need to get a move on -

Got mine shipped from a Hong Kong Model shop no probs, I seem to remember it was approx £180 at the time,

Good luck sourcing yours,

daveR.

2nd dibs :) - any Tamiya Caterham (so I don't have to import one), have been meaning to get one for some time, build or NiB (new in box).

I have quite a large vintage Tamiya r/c model collection from the 70s & 80s - and the static big scale 7s would make a nice addition to any model collection.

I'd also be interested in any empty boxes - as they would make a nice poster - the Tamiya art-work on boxes used be fantastic and nice and nostalgic these days.

Speaking Tamiya - does anyone know where I can get a large Tamiya shop banner from to put above my display cabinets of models at home?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, (but I am the sad guy that nearly sold his seven to build a 1:1scale SandScorcher

and nearly bought the perfect Bruiser 1:1 replica, and narrowly missed the plate [TAM17A] at a DVLA auction to put on it 5 years ago).

I have exactlythe one you are looking for the BDR kit in 1:12 with prisoner wheels - bought online a couple of years back for a couple of hundred quid... I'm not sure about shifting it on though as I'm sure you'll find it's rather rare unbuilt!

Also I have no idea where it is right now as I've moved house recently and have about 60m³ boxes in storage!!

If you have no luck, let me know and I can have a think about it - probly better it gets built than gathers dust *confused*

They are still available in Japan the BDR new kit here but expect to pay £200+ for one with shipping, and what put me off is a friend got charged hefty import duty at customs before parcelforce would deliver (about £40 on top), but then I know someone else that ordered a JPE, won it action for under £100 from Japan, free post, and got it with no customs charge either - so it varies

Hi Neil,

I would be very interested if you think you'll never get round to building it.

It's going to a good cause i.e. helping me get through my 40th birthday in a month and a half's time.

As SL91 said, they are available as new from Japan but I would rather buy locally and give one a good home ;-).

Thanks for replying and let me know your thoughts.

Dave - I have a VX HPC so would love to fit the JPE engine version to a kit (albeit with a repainted engine to match the silver/red of the less well tuned versions) - wonder if Tamiya sell spare parts??

Cheers

David

Awesome Lotus-boy - I had my 40th this Aug - so we are the same era too ;)

Unfortunately Tamiya do not sell spares for their static models, only their radio controlled ones (and only for the life of the vehicle), sometimes they do re-issues of r/c and static kits but have a strict supply of spares for their moving models only.

Yes the JPE would be a good kit for you, just paint it a different colour and do your red-top HPC block on it - would be perfect.

They don't make a K-series model unfortunately, still waiting to see if they ever do a Duratec - but I doubt it. The Japanese will only do models of what they like and buy themselves, and in the case of the seven, that is the Cosworth BDR classic looking cars, and the JPE caught their imagination back in the day, in a way the R500 clearly didn't after.

SL91,

Many happy belated returns!!

A real shame that Tamiya do not provide continuous support for their static kits. Interestingly when I looked at their website it only shows the Caterham in the Master Coachworks series - not sure if they have done others or if the Seven was just a one off. The kit was obviously a considerable undertaking.

Problem for me with the JPE kit is my car has flared arches currently and , although my sig pic shows my car on its MB wheels, I also have a set of Prisoners for touring hence the BDR kit works well from a external perspective.

I am planning to switch to cycle wings one day but not for a couple of years at least and would probably prefer to capture the model of the car as mine is now.

As for a K-series engine, my internet trawling led me here.

It's all very impressive - the MBs are incredible!

No idea if Angus takes commissioning work or another modeller could do it for you but I guess you could recreate your Superlight or R500.

Cheers

David

It sounds like you need all the former Tamiya 1:12 7's

- the BDR Cosworth on flares

- the JPE

- the 'cycle fender' special (as they know the cycle wing cars over there)

some model shops still have old stock of the discontinued ones, and no doubt they will appear again in their catalogue at some point in future (as they have a habit of re-issuing their best models)

What a great link - thanks - I love Angus's work on a K-series: if my dad were still around he would have fabricated the different parts for me to adapt a Tamiya kit to a K-series as Angus has done. My dad came from a line of model-makers and fabricators active in the film industry. His brother was John StearsJohn Stears - better know for special effects, model making and building something called 'R2D2' in the late '70s and loading some old Aston Martin with gadgets at Pinewood Studios before that amonsgt other things:) - between them, they would have knocked-up some fine scale 7's if they were still around today.

Been looking for a cycle wing special as it is the closest to what I own. One of the Chaps in our local model shop has visited the Tamiya offices/ factory in Japan. He has some great pictures of the in house car museum

Seems that the coach built series have components from several manufactures not just Tamiya. (bit like the real thing). It is believed that a reissue is a lot more work than it is for one of their in house plastic models.

I see- that is interesting how they can/not re-issue certain coach built models.

R/C cars seem to get re-issue more often - even some real classics like the Sand Scorcher and Bruiser - ladder frame chassis 4x4 (but they are NOT cheap, but cheaper than new boxed 25 year old classics held by collectors of their cars).

For a few years I have wished Tamiya would update their collection with an R500 or Duratec car - we will have to wait and see, as the JPE was a bit of a one off snap-shot in time for them, whereas they seem quite happy to just do classic looking BDR Cosworth cars (mainly because that what they really like in Japan, and I doubt there are many K-series or later cars over there).

Well I have just secured a model from the States on ebay for £240 including delivery. Obviously still got the import duty to pay but not at all bad I don't think.

The model box looks sealed in a cellophane wrapper so may not even have been opened yet.

With this and a Lego Unimog to build, it looks like I have some fun hours ahead of me. Just need the kids to grow up a bit so I can gain back some free time!

If anyone has a JPE engine they want to swap... ;-)

Cheers

David

Well done - that sounds great.

I love the idea of swapping power-plants with fellow modellers & 7ers on these to create a replica of your own car.

There should be a special area on Blatchat for this type of model making with a picture gallery as these models are absolutely lovely.

It is a tribute to the Japanese at how good they actually are at copying things, especially in miniture.

M

I wanted to build a replica of my own car which is also a VX engine. So I bought a JPE kit from Japan and on UK ebay found a ready built flared wing BD car that was looking a bit sad. This has been stripped and will provide things like the heater, windscree, spare wheel etc etc. Still stripping at the moment but the plan looks sound. Just need some long cycle wings and different wheels.

In theory some parts are available, certainly a parts list but so far I have not found anywhere that stocks them or can get them as they are out of production.

Guy