Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BigHead Failures

IanW

• Area Representative

I recently had a bighead failure where the weld holding the loops had broken. Another ReHaBer has had a similar failure with two bigheads.

Does anyone know why the welds are failing? Is it because the welds are poorly made? Or are there vibrations and stresses causing them to break?

When I went to the bighead factory in Poole to pick mine up, they enquired what I was going to use them for & changed my order to some bigheads with a bigger gap between the loops.

They were a perfect fit on my wing stays & did not require any bending / spreading.

316-B32-CABLE TYRAP-15MM (S4C) STAINLESS

They recommended the bighead FS Acrylic Adhesise 25ML”A”. The 25ML gives you just enough to do both front wings if you follow the instructions.

Olly

• Area Representative

Is the consensus that the failure is due to the loops being forced out of shape and weakening the weld?

Are there any alternatives to the bighead?

I've not had to bend the wire loops and just noticed another with a broken weld so something has changed *confused* These were only fitted the day before Wightblat and have done 2000 miles. The ones on my old car have lasted years, no signs of any problems despite 1000's of miles of abuse. I've emailed the manufacturer to let them know that that a fair proportion from the last batch I bought have broken and to ask if their production method has changed. I'll let you know what they come back with.

They've asked their quality department to take a look, I'll be sending them one that failed when I manage to separate it from the wing at the weekend! Certainly seems to be something amiss, failure rates seem to have gone up significantly in recent weeks/months. I have a few left from the big batch I ordered last year so if they want a couple of those to look at I'll send them some. Hopefully they'll work out what's going wrong and then send me a few replacements to share with those experiencing problems.