Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA Engine Number Question

GF04RCE

Hi,

As i prep an ex 2003 academy seven for the IVA (never registered) which now has a VVC engine and no engine number as a result of the Starter mod.... Am i right in thinking I just stamp a new engine number on it incorporating the last digits of the chassis number...? seems both right and wrong at the same time.....

If anyone else has experience of taking an older car through the IVA it would be great to hear about any lessons learnt.....

Thanks

Have you fitted the VVC engine yourself? If you have and have ground away the original engine number to fit the starter motor then use the original engine number, but it is usual to re-stamp it on the bearing ladder at the bottom of the engine.

I'd be concerned with using the last few numbers of the chassis as that might coincide with another engine number that is already in use.

The VVC engine number (or at least mine) is in the format 18K4KP01xxxxxx

I think you will have problems with registration if there is another engine out there with the same number.

I also believe you will need documentation to support the identity of the engine on application for the IVA test.

I am trying to track down the Plaza Racing guys who put the engine in to find out a bit of history on it. I guess there is nothing wrong in making up a number that includes the chassis number as its unlikely to match an existing number. I am not trying to hide anything its should just be classed as a new build.... I'll get in touch with them to confirm though...

thanks

Jason good to hear it has been done..... Fingers crossed i may not need it.... I have been told that all Academy cars will have gone through SVA, VOSA are now tracking down the details based on the chassis number... DVLA have told me if i can get the SVA confirmation i will just need to fill in the v55/5 form.... Still waiting to speak with either James Plaza or Jon Proctor to fill in some of the gaps ....

Quoting GF04RCE: 
I have been told that all Academy cars will have gone through SVA

All cars that took part in the Academy would have been through SVA and would have been registered. It is, however, possible that the car was supplied for the Academy but not completed in time to compete.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 23 Jul 2013 18:58:30

RJ, there is no VIN plate, the car has had some replacement chasis parts and no VIN plate re attached. I am in the process of arranging with Caterham for a new VIN plate to be attached, as i have the chassis number stamped elswhere. The car will be presented to Caterham for authentication.

The car is a cracker, it just needs a few hoops to be jumped through to get it on the road. The intention will then be to sell it on with the full history explained... It was bought as a mini project and has been much fun, even if GF04RCE has been parked out front for the summer whilst it takes up the garage workshop, but the profit will pay for the engine 40bhp+ head upgrades to my first child... *smile* oh that is if i can get the damn immobiliser to fully disengage and let the engine start.... yes i am a man with two sevens and i cant drive either of them at the moment....