Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Positioning Rear Wings

Phil B

Hi,

Rebuild is progressing well and have reached the stage where I need to position and fit rear wings onto my nice newly skinned and painted tub. Unfortunately I didn't take enough pre strip pictures/measurements to be sure I have the new wings correctly located. What concerns me is making sure they don't interfere with sidescreens.

Is there anyone in the Horsham (west sussex) area who would let me pop round in the evening to double check/measure position of rear wings before I drill holes please?

Phil B

Dear All,

Thanks for your suggestions, I spent an hour or more last night doing as you described to line up the nearside wing. However, as I don't have the scuttle and screen fitted yet (still have some wiring issues to attend to) I can't hang a sidescreen to do a check of the forward edge.

What I have found is that the new wings (Caterham clearance sale items) are less flexible than my old wings. What this means is that if I have the back edge lined up to fit nicely round the basket, the front edge wants to move forward so that the large hole for the radius arm does fit. I can cut this to make it into cutout rather than a hole, but I'm just left concerned about fit of the sidescreens.

Hence request to do a sanity check on another car.

Phil

Thanks to all and especially Mark and Lee for letting me measure up their wings. As you might expect the scatter of dimensions was within 5mm averaged over 2 wings on 2 cars. So holes drilled and the first wing is on.

Phil *wavey*