Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternator fan gone ballistic

Supersprint1988

How the heck did that happen?! Did the nut on the end of the alternator spindle come off? And the pulley?

What sort of alternator is it? I have a couple of spare alternator fans for a Lucas A127 if you need to replace it. Can't help with the nose cone though!

Looks like the hole in the middle has stretched and the fan has broken in half.

At least no one was injured.

The fan is to cool the alternator, so I think running without would be a bad idea.

Duncan

Edited by - DJ. on 14 Jun 2013 22:40:28

same happened to me at a Wiscombe hillclimb a few years ago. Mine was a Valeo which apparently do this from time to time when they fracture into pieces. I heard of one coming through the bonnet and whistling past the driver's ear.

I managed to get a replacement fan from a local auto electric place and, so far, its been ok but I do check it for cracks occasionally.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 14 Jun 2013 23:40:26

Carsten,

It might be worth asking Pete when you call Raceline if they have an option with a larger pulley on the alternator. This will run the alternator a bit slower, but as you point out our cars don't have a high current demand. The benefit is that the fan speed will be reduced and therefore the c/f forces on the "blades" and the centre hole will go down too.

Phil

Sorry Carsten, but your post made me laugh.

Glad no one was hurt.

(I heard it from Mads, whom you met on the trackday.)

Like it has been said: Don't run it without, get it geared down instead. In fact on some of the Rover engines have a smaller pulley on the crank to slow down the alternator. Have you any idea of what your alternators gearing is? Most stock units don't like to be pushed past 14k.

Hi, same here. Another Valeo unit on a Zetec , fan vanished . Only noticed it when I found scratches and a small dent on the pulley. Very lucky though as it had almost completely squashed a brake line .

Redline helped me out, they had a few in stock. *thumbup*

Edited by - Harolddude on 19 Jun 2013 18:24:53

Edited by - Harolddude on 19 Jun 2013 18:28:13

Local shop sold me a new alternator fan.

Inspired by Harolddude I checked my brake line today when I was refitting the alternator *eek* Same problem as you.

The exploded fan had given the pipe from the master cylinder a VERY close shave.

New pipe on its way.

Thank you Harolddude *thumbup* *thumbup*

Hmmm, I had the same Valeo alternator on my x/flow for over 10 years and no problems...

Also have the Valeo on my Zetec and was concerned at the proximity of the fan to the brake pipes/union, so I made a shield out of mild steel and simply bolted this onto the brake pipe union fitting. This gives about 5mm clearance between shield and fan.