Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking front Bilstein adjustable platform in France

jamiegb

Hi guys

Just back from a spirited drive on D9 in the Cevennes without a hitch till spotted a drip from offside front shock. Currently 2 weeks and 2000 miles from planned end of trip back in UK. Previous threads suggest replace soon but how safe is it limping along as the oil gradually drains out!!!

Is there a Caterham supplier in the region around Avignon, should I get some shipped out, should I try to get an alternative and if so where???

Thanks in anticipation

Jamie

Edited due to spillcheck error!

Edited by - Jamiegb on 20 May 2013 17:44:46

Dont know if any help but these guys are about 80k North West from Avignon

Caterham Competition France

524 Chemin du Mas Icard

30720 Les Tavernes

Tel: +33 (0) 466 838 817

Email: magasin@caterham.fr

Web: www.caterham.fr

Thanks Tim

Got there the same time myself. Everything is closed today (feast day) but will call them first thing tomorrow. Am at Uzes tonight which is unbelievably only about 20 mins from them!!!

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

It’s not to serous if you lose a bit of oil,

the nitrogen gas will push a bit out if the seal is leaking.

The shock will empty if it’s inverted, and this could affect the handling a bit.

But if the shock is mounted with the shaft at the top I would feel safe if it was a long way home

It will lose some oil due to pressure loss but some oil will remain inside

Chris *wavey*

Well every cloud has a silver lining. The Caterham outlet that TBird referred to actually has two locations, the old one for unmangling major chassis damage at the address on the website and their new one for race prep on the French race series just northwest of Ales at St Martin de Valgalgues at the Circuit France Polemechanics. The chief mechanic Benois had some shocks with limited track use in the back for €120 though they needed some fettling from mine to fit the Imperial chassis and all fitted for €55 including coffee!

Then it transpired that they have the use of the circuit for 2 hours in the middle of the day so another €84 got me and Benois up to the track for 2hrs track time with 2 academy cars having tuition interleaved with some moto testing. The track is set up for caterhams nicely with varied curves and cambers and a corkscrew section. They have a race there this weekend for 70 French Academy cars so I fancy Benois will have plenty to do afterwards

Result: 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Well worth a visit if in the Cevennes touring or in Provence. They had overalls and helmet free of charge as well.

On y va !!!