Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What trailer should I buy?

garagehermit

I'm looking to buy a car trailer for the Caterham and am struggling to decide which make to go for Can anyone suggest whether a Brian James (Minno Max), Woodford lightweight, or any other make would be best for dragging the Caterham around the country? Thanks.

you can't beat the Minno in terms of reliability and value for money, just look at the resale values for second hand ones.

Bearing in mind that a standard S3 just fits on a Minno and wide wheels on the back make it tight, my only comment would be if you might have a need for a larger trailer in the future, have the space and can afford it, definitely consider something a bit bigger that will take a saloon/classic.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 12 May 2013 10:37:50

The Minno is often the trailer of choice for Caterham owners, the Minno-Max is just a touch wider and has pull out ramps which makes life a bit easier. I have the Max, very happy with it, it still goes through the garage door easily enough.

PRG also offer a range with a suitable option for the seven. I bought a PRG and have been very happy with it. It uses the same hardware as the Brian James, but at the time cost me considerably less for the same spec.

Just bought a Brian James TT. Fits in the garage and the SV goes on with plenty of space to spare. Unfortunately a bit more costly than a minno max but received wisdom seemed to be that SVs don't fit. If you have an S3 then much more choice available.

I've got a Brian James clubman 950 which is a great trailer but the spares are very expensive, I recently needed a new drum and BJ wanted over £200 for a replacement, which I considered daylight robbery.

If I was purchasing again I would check the costs for spare parts.

John

Most of the axles/brakes on BJ trailers are Knott Avonride. If you Google spares for them you can save a considerable amount . I just bought a set of brake shoes at half BJ price .....

The axles for my trailer were made by indespension with specific part numbers for BJ which initally they would not disclose. After a lot of researching I did find the correct parts for £70 against £200 from BJ, they also wanted £50 for a bare 10" wheel.

I won't be buying another trailer from them.

I've had 2 single axles and they towed just fine, but you have to be precise with the loading as the weight distribution IMHO is far more critical on a single axle compared to a double axle.

Also for reasons outlined in the post above I now have a twin axle. Even better that I managed to pick up a hydraulic tilt bed at mates' rates, saves all that faffing about with ramps

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
I've had 2 single axles and they towed just fine, but you have to be precise with the loading as the weight distribution IMHO is far more critical on a single axle compared to a double axle.

Also for reasons outlined in the post above I now have a twin axle. Even better that I managed to pick up a hydraulic tilt bed at mates' rates, saves all that faffing about with ramps

I had a single axle - with the weight a little bit out towing it was as scary as being on a 747 piloted by Stevie Wonder, on Angel Dust, landing at the old Hong Kong Airport, in a hurricane

• 6 months later...