Click here if you are having website access problems ×

front wheel bearings

LazerBrain

Is it normal to need to slacken off the castle nut for a front wheel bearing?

I jacked up the front of my 7 and noticed the front left wheel was binding. I slackened off the castle nut by one notch and re-assembled and it now behaves like the other front wheel. There is a slight vertical play in both wheels now. Previously the right wheel had slight vertical play which was noted at each MOT, but tightening up to the next notch round is too tight. Wiser mechanics have said this was normal.

It’s always a bit of a problem to get the slot in the right place, to tight or to lose only six positions per turn.

Never had a bearing that’s gone tighter, maybe over tightened last time it was adjusted.

On a 2mm pitch thread that’s over .3 mm per slot, I machine off a small amount from the nut to get the slot in the correct position.

You could try it as a last resort it will get it right.

Chris.

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Shouldn't have to slacken it unless it was overtightened on assembly. Bearings only wear ... not grow.

That was my concern... The car hasn't been driven much (600 miles) since July when it was serviced. I'm wondering if it had been tightened then and I hadn't noticed the change.