Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to clean expansion bottle?

Ed W

Does anyone know what I can use to clean the expansion bottle on the cooling system? It is coated in a layer of sludge! I have tried filling with hot water but it does not touch it. Will try neat vinegar next!

Thanks

Ed

there's some wet wipes on the market called GRIME BOSS,

these wipes are for the garage/workman,and are single ply,but one side is smooth,and the other is ruff for stubborn grime,hence,grime boss.these wipes come in a black packet.

buying these help keep me employed,so buy 2 pack's. *wavey*

Quoting Ed W: 
Does anyone know what I can use to clean the expansion bottle on the cooling system? It is coated in a layer of sludge! I have tried filling with hot water but it does not touch it. Will try neat vinegar next!

Thanks

Ed

This usually means that your head gasket has gone or your cylinder head is cracked, if the 'sludge' is emulsified oil and water. The best way to remove it is to use biological washing liquid/powder, but make sure it is thoroughly rinsed afterwards to remove any salt.

Mines always developed a thin layer of sludge/gunk on the upper half of the expansion tank and I've had the engine/head rebuilt several times and it's always been like that, so don't think it's a sign of HGF.... *smile*

I use brake cleaner to clean. Pour some in (having taken expansion bottle off car!) and swill round vigorously. Repeat to clean.

Quoting skydragon: 
Mines always developed a thin layer of sludge/gunk on the upper half of the expansion tank and I've had the engine/head rebuilt several times and it's always been like that, so don't think it's a sign of HGF.... *smile*

I use brake cleaner to clean. Pour some in (having taken expansion bottle off car!) and swill round vigorously. Repeat to clean.

You can get the emulsified oil and water sludge after a head rebuild if the coolant isn't flushed through properly after the build. It took me 4 or 5 flushes with washing powder to remove all traces; however, if you get the same problem when there isn't an obvious point at which the coolant could have been contaminated, you may want to ask how the sludge got there. This assumes that the sludge is emulsified oil and water and not just crap from an engine that's never been cleaned through properly.

Edited by - keybaud on 19 Apr 2013 20:03:13