Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Diff

PhilKing

Having just bought a replacement diff I now need to fit to the car, this is a standard Caterham diff 3.64 ratio to replace my 3.92 on a De Dion car. My question is really how difficult is this to do and any tips on specific problems I will face.

Any pointers to how best to do this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

How I do it!

It's an awkward bugger in all honesty, some people hang it from the roll bar, lift it on the trolley jack, but it's not necessary if you have a bit of beef about you - or a big little brother 😬

P.S. Make sure the bolts and screws actually go in before you put the diff in position.

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 18 Apr 2013 18:34:16

The following worked for me

Grind or file a heavy chamfer on the long top bolt (have nut on when doing this, when finished wind the nut off and it will repair any damage the the thread start.

Get two bits of steel rod that are smaller diameter than the long bolt (I used 2 screwdrivers) and hang the diff in place from the top on the small rods (or screwdrivers).

Locate and start the threads on the bottom bolts. Now return to the top bolts and carry out the centering of the diff by inserting the correct amount of washers (washers held together with some grease). All this done whilst diff is hanging on the temporary rods.

When centred remove one tempory rods and then holding the spacer washers in place and put in the chamfered main top bolt and be prepared to use a hammer to 'help' it through, it will push out the other temporary supporting rod and go through any spacer washers at the other end.

Torque up all nuts.

Job done........ then go in and apply plasters to your knuckles.

Did mine recently .... single handed with a trolley jack and a bit of wood about 12" x 12" ... to help balance the diff on the pad of the jack.

Jacked the rear of the car and supported it on axle stands under the ends of the lowest chassis cross rail. Removed a-frame ... only three bolts. Removed one wheel and unbolted the brake caliper. Removed it and tied it up to spring (watch brake pipes ... I have flexible hoses each end to help with such maintenance. Unbolted the deDion ear and withdrew the drive shaft while still attached to disc/hub/ear. Catch any oil that dribbles out of the diff.

Unbolt the prop shaft from the diff flange using a screwdriver to stop prop shaft turning.

Support the diff with the jack and wood. Note how many washers each end of long bolt and two short bolts. Remove front part of boot floor for easier access. Remove long bolt then two short bolts. With diff supported on jack/wood I then pulled it off the other drive shaft and turned it while lowering it to the ground.

Refitting it, I fitted two short bolts first (with washers) then used jack to pivot it up to align holes for long bolt. Use loctite on propshaft bolts.

Ha! My diff was super easy to fit the first time as I said to my (beefy) little brother, "oh the diff's really heavy, not sure how I'm going to get it in to position..." and he just dived under the car, bench pressed it, and held it there for a good 15 minutes while whacked and smacked the bolts in. Job was super easy, but then I tried to the get the prop in... *redface*

The second attempt I was on my own and had to use my face...