Click here if you are having website access problems ×

supersport ECU

Scott Dabinett

I have got my car back from DVA power and i had a set of VVC cams installed so a bit hotter than standard and also had some porting done.

Would the car benifit from a supersport ECU at all? Reading the tread about peak power the rev limit is higher on a supersport ECU and i guess different fueling?

Thanks

Scott

• Leadership Team

Quoting Scott Dabinett: 
I have got my car back from DVA power and i had a set of VVC cams installed so a bit hotter than standard and also had some porting done.
*confused* Scott, what was the spec of the engine before you started?

Stu.

• Area Representative

Scott,

What year is your car?

Are you 1600 or 1800?

If its an EU3 car (2001 or later), then Z&F tuning can modify your existing ECU.

'Not sure what the VVC cams are like, but if its a 1600, then I'd guess that with slightly wilder cams AND a little porting, then peak will be later than the standard 6800rpm limiter.

This is what I'd be doing:

Quoting skydragon: 
If you can afford it, a Emerald ECU, some verniers and a rolling road session would be the best bet I guess.

It's a fair amount of cash, but it will be future-proof.

However, this is actually an awesome idea:

Quoting johnv: 
I have one you could try out (not for sale though!) Surrey Rolling Road is just down the road from here, so for the £40 or so fee you could find out if there's an extra 20bhp in there *evil*

Just make sure that the fuelling and ignition timing isn't miles out because, from memory, the Supersport cams have a slightly longer duration and more lift than VVC exhaust cams. And there's more than one Supersport profile as well, so Caterham may or may not have changed the maps for the MEMS to suit.

I thought I read recently on DVA page that the VVC cams had a wider bearing, and thus couldn't fitted in the K16. Unless Im confused and its the other way round - a K16 cam cant be fitted into a VVC head? *confused*

• Leadership Team

Quoting TomB: 
I thought I read recently on DVA page that the VVC cams had a wider bearing, and thus couldn't fitted in the K16. Unless Im confused and its the other way round - a K16 cam cant be fitted into a VVC head? *confused*
Yes confused 😬 The VVC inlet cam arrangement has bigger end bearings but the exhaust cam is the same bearings as per K16/vhpd.

Stu.

Scott,

Your original post suggests that DVA did ALL the work for you. Did he refit the head and time the cams? If he did, I would leave well alone, he knows what he’s doing.

A few years ago he made the same modifications to the head of my 1.8 EU2 and it transformed it. The engine now feels more eager and is very free revving, but it still returns 40mpg, has no lumpy tick over, and it also appears to have acquired a nice burble on the overrun.

You didn’t mention vernier cam pulleys. My car already had them, so I was able to set the new cams up using DVAs recommended settings.

Graham

Quoting Graham D: 
Scott,

Your original post suggests that DVA did ALL the work for you. Did he refit the head and time the cams? If he did, I would leave well alone, he knows what he’s doing.

A few years ago he made the same modifications to the head of my 1.8 EU2 and it transformed it. The engine now feels more eager and is very free revving, but it still returns 40mpg, has no lumpy tick over, and it also appears to have acquired a nice burble on the overrun.

You didn’t mention vernier cam pulleys. My car already had them, so I was able to set the new cams up using DVAs recommended settings.

Graham

Yea he did everything! I managed to get away without vernier pulleys! Dave modified another set of pulleys he had and shimmed it out so get the timing correct! I guess that means it is all timed to suit the ECU?

Just thought if it was a case of swapping ECU's it would be easy power!

I'm not a great fan of the SS ECU as it's rev limit is set too high for the stock pistons.

The cams used were VVC exhaust cams modified to accept an EU2 rotor arm spigot, these were timed to the correct lift at TDC by slotting the timing dowel holes on a spare set of pulleys and then shimming behind the timing roll pin to gain the timing adjustment required. The results provided pretty accurate timing at a lower cost then verniers. The head was only mildly ported so The engine should run just fine on the stock ECU, the rev limit is then much more sensible.

Dsve