Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Puncture repair

glasgow

Tintop tyre has a puncture. I can see the nail and very tempted to do a DIY repair using a puncture repair kit. Nail is away from the side walls and checked the side walls of the tyre and they look fine.... Tyre is 245/40/18.

Is plug enough for this repair or this low(ish) profile tyre requires a patch from inside?

Thinking about this kit-any experience or recommendations please?

null

Thanks

Ahmed

Hi

I wouldn't consider doing any puncture repair on a car. What would happen later on if there was a blowout..??. I know I couldn't sleep with the worry.

Also getting the tyre off/on to the rim will be tricky.

Take the tyre to be fixed..If they say it cannot be fixed then there probably is a good reason for it.

Steve

Edited by - stevethemook on 1 Jan 2013 21:05:27

First, I carry a plug kit for emergency repair in case I'm miles from anywhere. This is the kit I bought: here

However, if I was able to get to a garage, I would always get the tyre properly inspected and repaired if possible. While the internet is full of reports of people driving long distances on this type of repair, I don't think the police would be happy to find a repair like this had let go and caused an accident.

Duncan

Agree with DJ. I had a 4" nail through a tyre on the 7 last year. It ended up through both the tread and the sidewall. Luckily I was only 500m from home, otherwise I'd be looking at AA/RAC call-out etc. If I was stranded I'd have used a kit (if I'd had one) just to get me home. 12 months later and I still haven't bought one 😳. Thanks for the reminder.

Richy

I used one of those type repair kits on the 7 in France and it worked a treat. Lasted the remaining life of the tyre (about 2 years).

Always carry one now.

Did hear a rumour that they weren't "approved" in the UK, but not sure why or how. I would use mine again if needed.

I read somewhere the reason these kits are not approved in the UK is that the tyre needs to be taken off to check for inside damage. However I remember a couple of years ago I went to a garage with a nail in the tyre and he just did the plug method while the tyre is still in place....

As for the safety/police issue, if I'm using the same plug the garage uses, would there be a safety issue here....? (N.B: tyre is not damaged as it never really went flat)

The other thing I saw on e-how website is a mention of low profile tyres better off with a patch not a plug...

Makes sense, but again not sure if it's just a rumour, rather than fact.

The beauty of these devices is that you don't need to take the tyre off the rim, the wheel off the car, or even completely deflate the tyre.

Naturally they're only suitable for a single (nail/screw type) hole, and in the tread area, that hasn't gone through the sidewall.

The one I have has strips of compound, similar to a sticky self-amalgamating material, that once inserted, twisted to form a knot/blob, and withdrawn through the hole, bonds with the tyre and id held in place by the air pressure.

If I had the tyre off and was near a garage I might consider getting it repaired but for the circumstances above I'm happy to use it if needed.

In France, where I live part of the year, I carry a bootlace type repair kit for use in emergencies and also a can of tyre-slick aerosol. I don't carry a spare wheel. Bootlace plugs are legal in France. However, I am pretty sure that the only plugs that are legal for use in the UK are mushroom plugs that can only be inserted from the inside of the tyre. The cap on the mushroom eliminates all chance of the plug being blown out. While I believe bootlace plugs are 99% secure, I suspect one would be in trouble if a tyre with that type of plug caused an accident...possibly big trouble.

• Area Representative

There is a BS Standard for tyre repair and I think this is why they are not supposed to be used in the UK.

Details here

Nobody would know if you were to use one of the kits, unless you have a blowout and it causes an accident and the police look over your vehicle and find the plug repair. Not much of a risk I would have thought 🤔

Nick

Apologies for slight hijack...I've got the wheels off the Caterham for a few jobs at the moment. I discovered the snapped off tip of a 5mm drill bit embedded in one of my front tyres (CR500). It was embedded about 7-8mm. I just pulled it out with pliers and the tyre still has pressure. The tyre still has loads of tread left.

Should I write the tyre off or should I get the hole plugged somehow? How thick is the tyre? I.e. if its gone in 7-8mm how far is that away from the inside of the tyre?

Cheers,

Martin

AA Guidance, includes:

British standard BS AU159 sets out the rules for repairs to car tyres. It defines the type of damage that can be repaired and the way that repairs should be carried out.

One of the most important requirements is that the car tyre has to be removed from the wheel to check for internal damage. If not spotted this could later result in sudden failure of the tyre. Because of this, externally applied plugs and liquid sealants injected through the tyre valve can not be thought of as permanent repairs.

British Tyre Manufacturers' Association statement, includes:
The following ‘repair’ methods are not recognised as acceptable:-

* Liquid sealants.

* Plugs applied externally to fitted tyres.

* Inner tubes fitted to tubeless tyres.

* Inner tubes fitted to ‘tube type’ tyres which have sustained penetrations and which have not been repaired in accordance with BS AU 159.

* Temporary repairs.

My reading of those is that the perceived risk isn't related to ineffectiveness of the plug but to not inspecting the wheel and tyre with the tyre removed.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 2 Jan 2013 09:49:28

• Area Representative

So in response to Ahmed's original question it is OK to use on of these kits to get you to the garage for a proper repair, much like using foam but it is not a permanent fix for a puncture based on Jonathan's post.

Nick