Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting inertia belts WITH harnesses?

MK07FUN

Evening all!

Quick question as to whether anyone out there has both harnesses and 3-point inertia belts fitted AT THE SAME TIME ... is it possible? or are same mounting points used? or some other good reason I can't fit both at once to cover 2 minute trips to the shops and 3 hour blats in the Cairngorms?

Many thanks

SB

When I ordered my car, I didn't think enough about the spec and it arrived with inertia belts and the weedy non-FIA roll bar.

Within a month I had ordered the 4 point harness and FIA bar.

To hedge my bets I fitted the harness as well as the inertia but once I had the harnesses I never used the 3 pointer again.

I have since removed the 3 pointer fittings (but the belt is still fitted in the turrets and costing me a few Kg)

Listen to Johnty - use the harness. You will feel so much more secure and at one with the car.

My car is now as described by Ray Pearce above. When I got the car it had harnesses and the fittings for the inertial reel belt had been removed, but the inertia reels and belts themselves are still there behind the carpet on the back wall behind the seats, costing me a few kg. While it's off the road for the winter I was planning to remove them for neatness. Are they easy to get at and remove?

Thanks for the replies ... Biggest issue is when a 2 minute trip turns into a 10 minute one (the 7's my only car) ... More than anything it's for the passenger's benefit, but I agree that one you've done harnesses you never feel truly safe again with a 3-pointer!!

Just to put a different angle....

A 3-point inertia reel may be safer than a casually and hurriedly fitted full harness.

So for popping to the shops it could be just the right thing.

However, as driving my 7 always has a bit of a sense of occasion about it, I like the ritual of harnesses and then going for long enough drive to get everything warmed through.

Peter

Quoting R300EEK: 
Evening all!

Quick question as to whether anyone out there has both harnesses and 3-point inertia belts fitted AT THE SAME TIME ... is it possible? or are same mounting points used? or some other good reason I can't fit both at once to cover 2 minute trips to the shops and 3 hour blats in the Cairngorms?

Many thanks

SB

Yes. My R400 has both because we ordered it with both. The FH is a pain in the arse for a trip to the shops.

LE0 has 4 point on the driver's side, and both inertia reel and 4 point on the passenger's.

My wife feels claustrophobic in the fixed belts (claustrophobic in an open car *confused*) and prefers the inertia reel which allows her to change position on a long journey.

The three pointer is quite adequate: I rolled my previous car up a bank when a DeDion ear broke, suffered only a cut nose and sore wrists (the steering wheel was an amazing shape!)

Quoting Anton: 
LE0 has 4 point on the driver's side, and both inertia reel and 4 point on the passenger's.

My wife feels claustrophobic in the fixed belts (claustrophobic in an open car *confused*) and prefers the inertia reel which allows her to change position on a long journey.

The three pointer is quite adequate: I rolled my previous car up a bank when a DeDion ear broke, suffered only a cut nose and sore wrists (the steering wheel was an amazing shape!)

Is any modification beyond "adding the three pointer" required?

Adding the reels is painful. There is drilling out of rivets and a lot of disassembly if they are not already in place.

I was going to fit them on the passenger side for my 5 year old as she was a bit small to be safe with the harness, but a growth spurt took care of that so i fitted a harness with an aero catch and she is nice and secure.

I found that the harness with the car style buckle was a lot quicker to put on if that helps.

I'm quite a senile old git, but have been around ( and worked professionally in) motorsport for over 50 yrs. IMHO I have never understood why Caterham offer the car with a cosmetic road bar. The car has no air bags, and in any serious accident the driver and passanger are very exposed. You need all the protection you can get, 99% of time in an accident it will not be your fault but the other idiot who didn't see you or realize how quickly you where approaching, I've seen the results of some very nasty accidents on the road involving se7ens, in each case if there hadnt been an FIA bar and a full harness the outcome would have been very different. Just my senile wanderings.

JJ

Greatly appreciated thanks! ... I live in Edinburgh city centre, and it's those trips that never exceed 10 miles an hour or half a mile that I'm looking to mitigate... Although a combination of the safety comments, faff of fitting and the always available option of walking now have me reconsidering completely!

• Leadership Team

A slightly different approach, I had my kit supplied by CC with the inertia reel fitted to the passenger side only, but supplied with 2 harnesses for me to fit. The logic was that the inertia reel would hold a child seat (my partner at the time of the build had a 6 year old son) more securely with the harness as a final safety option.

It can only have one form of restraint fitted for the IVA so it went through with harness drivers side and inertia reel passenger side - i fitted the passenger harness once I got the car back from IVA.

Upshot is that all of my passengers get the safety brief from me then make an informed choice about what they use to hold them in the car (happy to treat most of them as grown ups!).

Hope this helps.

Garry *wavey*

• Leadership Team

Hi SB,

My installation was a CC derived solution,the only shared fixing bolt is on the transmission tunnel and still protrudes through the threaded boss so I assume that its as secure as it gets?

I think a first time passenger appreciates the choice - a few have declined initially thinking they would be harnessed in like me! (Harness only for the driver - mostly driven one up).

Please post a picture of the 4 point on the bike when you get it 😬 😬

PS. No idea about the MOT view on this - thats 2.5 years away!! *smile*

Garry

Edited by - Garry7 on 16 Nov 2012 11:11:27

Don't think I'd ever feel secure without a harness is my two penneth. Besides how special does it feel pulling up outside a shop and taking off a harness?! All part of owning a Seven *cool*

Quick highjack. I've got a 6 point on my side. How to you get it on? Never paid attention on the test drive, too thrilled. Would like use it on blat to stop sliding forwards.

I think wearing a harness is just something you get used to, after all, many of us probably grew up when seat belts weren't mandatory and at first that seemed odd putting a pre-inertia belt on and adjusting it so it fitted correctly.

Having been a passenger in other 7s over the years and only having the benefit of a seat belt it kind of feels less secure once you're used to a harness.

I've had a 6 point on both sides for over 10 years and never really encountered any problems from SWMBO and it really only takes a few more seconds than putting on a conventional belt and the benefits far outweigh those 'lost' seconds.

Worrying that you are 'sliding forwards' on blats !

With a 4-point harness, you should adjust the two lower straps first while the top ones are slack. You want them to be tight, so they stay as low as possible - on your thighs.

Then, when you tighten the top straps, the release buckle should stay low. If it ends up by your breast bone, the bottom straps are not tight enough !

• Area Representative

I prefer the harnesses in the Crossflow to the interia reels in the 21. They are massively reassuring but I understand that passengers are often unfamiliar with harnesses and (quite why I don't know) confused by them.

Regarding children, I found it very easy to get the harness adjusted to child-size and was reassured by the two, well positioned shoulder straps. I feel that a three pointer could very easily slip off a diminutive shoulder.

• Area Representative

Quoting Bradders: 
Quick highjack. I've got a 6 point on my side. How to you get it on? Never paid attention on the test drive, too thrilled. Would like use it on blat to stop sliding forwards.

The crotch strap should be over the seat squab of an S-type or emerge from the hole designed for it in a Tillet.

Take the buckle, clip in the crotch strap, then the other waist strap (this configuration holds the buckle over the top of my bladder, so is a little below the waist and navel), these should be tight, losen shoulder straps, buckle these both in then tighten.

I find I need a winter setting (for more clothing and a summer setting. Adjusting the waist and crotch straps is fiddly.

I have both fitted but have never used the reel belt on drivers side, I just feel like I would fall out of the car. I have found the inertia rell belt useful on occasions on the pax side for securing bulky items such as camping stuff, camera bag etc.

If you want a good reason not to use inertia reel as your only means of restraint then read the thread on PH (link below). The driver's head is what is responsible for mangling the steering wheel!!

here

Cheers

David