Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lots of replacement wing questions

SMerK

My 7 is in need of new rear and front cycle wings - stone crazed / cracked & generally knackered from hard blatting *thumbup*

REAR - looking for fibreglass. Caterham sell green ones - I hope my mine is 'Caterham Green'. What alternatives do I have? Who sells the wings and paints if neccessary? Who's the best to look at?

I thought of sticking some foam on rear wing underside to absorb stone impacts & stop the star cracking. Anyone done this before? Any ideas. And yes I know it is not the 'superlight ethos' *wink*

Getting rear wings off - whats the best nut release agent? Any tips to avoid ruining nutserts or body work or?

Amourfend or alternatives? OK to apply to wings DIY? I've read the do not do nosecones advice!

REAR Stone guards & FRONT cycle wings - prob. go for carbon - best options & prices? MOG? Any others?

P.S. whats the diffrence between 1x1 & 2x2 carbon fibre?

As always any help gratefully received 😶‍🌫️

Thanks

Steve

I have some wings from Constant Fibreglass who were recommended to me from here.

http://constantfibreglass.co.uk/

I've not fitted them yet as its a winter job, but the colour match is spot on (yellow) and they look good quality. I know they do all standard Caterham gelcoat colours, its got to be easier than having them sprayed if you have a standard colour.

I'm intending to do the foam sheet trick, or use roofing repair rubber, and then apply some Paint protection film.

To stop any more star cracking on my rear wings, I decided to do the foam thing, and had an old camping mattress, just a few mm thick, cut it to shape, sprayed the underside of the rear wing with adhesive, and sprayed the foam and then joined the two together, works a treat, just make sure that when you join the two, it is where you want them to be, as they won't move again - ever. Stops all that star cracking, and doesn't weigh much either. My black wings are covered underneath with yellow camping mattress though...............................................

My experience only extends to the boggo glass-fibre wings (which we all know do star-craze) and DITP carbon rear wings (that had a layer of Kevlar on the underside, I seem to remember) which most-definitely do not.

EFA's DITP stuff was rather robust - one club member (of the time) launched his car through a farmers gate (bending the gate in two) with only minor cosmetic damage (edited to say...) to his DITP carbon nose (/ets) - and someone t-boned my rear wing (causing only a non-catastrophic six-inch split along the circumference, but otherwise fine).

Dunno about 'single-layer' carbon wings with no extra protection.

Edited by - Myles on 5 Oct 2012 12:42:26

Thanks Myles, I'm just trying to work out if it's worth going for carbon front wings to replace the cracked fibreglass ones on my car ("it's so light you can just push the car round the garage - let me demonstrate... Crunch!")

paint the inside of the wings with this rubber paint use plastic bolts to refit the rears therefore avoiding corrosion and potenial skin damage should you clip a rear winf on something.

Front tigerseal them on, you can add small mudflaps made from sheet flaps material off ebay stops the stones etc very well.

I found the carbon rear stone gaurds still marked very badly, I wolud probably use noraml wings with an Amourfend on them instead next time.