Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Metric roll cage to imperial chassis?

Drumster

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2008 metric roll cage (Roadsport with curved bars on the top) and this would be to fit on a 1992 de dion chassis. I've only had a quick look through the archives and it seems that it will fit with some spacers for the rear legs.

Has anybody actually done what I'm trying to do? Just looking for confirmation before I spend my dosh.

TIA

• Area Representative

There is one on Pistonheads and the advert says that it will fit an imperial chassis as stated by Caterham so I would think one would fit yours. It may be the same cage that Prangerman has on his car which I would have thought is an imperial chassis.

Nick

Yep, Ive done it & it fits.

You may need some spacers which I got made by Caged but it took them ages to do them(got the impression they couldn't be bothered but kept nagging a guy called Phil) & they cost £30 for a pair which is daylight robbery for two bits of metal. I think I have a spare set, which if you get stuck I'll sell.

Phil.

Depending on what dampers you have you might have to machine down the heads on some M10 bolts to mount the cage as the buckets on the imperial chassis are deeper putting them closer to the damper. Imperial cage bolts have bolt heads which are about 3mm thick for this reason.

J

• Leadership Team

Quoting JEM: 
As I understand a metric cage will fit and imperial chassis but an imperial cage will not fit the metric chassis
Yes, the big difference is the bosses on the middle legs that insert into the chassis (above the shocks) are longer/deeper on the Imperial chassis cage - the depth of the hole was reduced on the metric chassis. I suspect on the metric chassis this has given a little more space above the shock to use a normal bolt rather than the reduced head bolt needed on the imperial chassis.

Middle leg bosses on an imperial cage will not go far enough into a metric chassis, but the reverse of this is that there is space left below the legs if using a metric cage on an imperial chassis... hence the need for spacers, although a suitable stack of washers will do the same job.

I still have a hooped top metric cage available if anyone wants one? (advert here).

Stu.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...

I want to order one of Caterham's new 'Track Day' cages (Double-D but without side bars) but am being told by Caterham that the metric cage will not fit my 2005 Imperial chassis car. 

Sounds like it will fit according to the above info, but requires spacers. Does anyone have any pictures? 

Anyone had any success fabricating spacers, or did you end up waiting on Caged to supply them?

Says online that these cages are special order - I hoped that meant you could order them to be manufactured for imperial and metric chassis.  Are they made by Caged?  Could they do a special order?