Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT K-Series Reg Nov 1999 Kit Built

Tin Man

• Area Representative

Hi all

Can anyone please confirm that I require a CAT for the MOT test. My seven was registered in November 1999 and was built from a kit. The car was fitted with a Cat when it went for its SVA test.

I am in the proess of purchasing a VHPD cat, but obvously it is a big expense if I do not require it for my MOT.

Many thanks

Regards

John

No, last time I took my car for test prior to selling it in 2011 (my car was a 2006 CKD), the guy who test all my cars said they had an update relating to kit cars from Dtp, we went through the update and it specifically refered to i think the 3rd letter in the VIN in Caterhams, if this was i think K it indicated a CKD (Kit) and there irespective of year was subject to smoke test only factory cars were classed as new cars and were subject to cat year dependant cat tests.

If I head over to the garage I will speak to him and try to get the respective MOT section and repost.

Quoting 7 wonders of the world: 
No, last time I took my car for test prior to selling it in 2011 (my car was a 2006 CKD), the guy who test all my cars said they had an update relating to kit cars from Dtp, we went through the update and it specifically refered to i think the 3rd letter in the VIN in Caterhams, if this was i think K it indicated a CKD (Kit) and there irespective of year was subject to smoke test only factory cars were classed as new cars and were subject to cat year dependant cat tests.

If I head over to the garage I will speak to him and try to get the respective MOT section and repost.

I think you are right - though there appears to be a couple more digits in the VIN to take into account.

If you look at the MOT testing Manuals, on the VOSA website, the top item in the small table is the "In Service Exhaust Emission Standards for Road Vehicles - 17th Edition" (published Feb 2012)

In here, in the Caterham section, it says:

"Where the 10th digit of the VIN is equal to or less than 'W' and the 6th digit is 'C' or 'K', the vehicle concerned should be considered as 'amateur built' and as such

should receive a visual smoke test only."

Screencap:

vosa manal excerpt

Ben

• Leadership Team

Wrong.

Read the manual wording carefully: "Where the 10th digit of the VIN is equal to or less than 'W' and the 6th digit is 'C' or 'K', the vehicle concerned should be considered as 'amateur built' and as such should recieve a visual smoke test only."

Also refer to the 7FAQ chassis numbers page and you'll discover that "W" is 1998 - it's no different to before in that all vehicles built from 1998 are emissions tested and "should" be fitted with a cat.

I've checked my VIN number and the 10th digit is "X" as would be expected for a 1999 car, which takes me back to my original statement, yes you need a cat, or certainly need to get through the cat-based emissions test.

Stu.

Quoting sforshaw: 
Wrong.
Blunt but to the point, I guess 😬

To be fair, all it is is a direct quote of the VOSA booklet. I'm not saying that all cars are now emissions exempt, just, as per the book, ones with this "W" in position 10.

OK, this therefore may not help the 2006 car get through, (my bad for not having memorised the VIN dates/7faq 😳) but, as with my car (and possibly the OP's) registered in 1999 it's critical.

My kit was evidently manufactured in 1998, and so it has a "W" in position "10" of the VIN.

It wasn't registered, however, until mid 1999, meaning that it falls neatly into the specifically mentioned exemption, being outside the "all amateur/kits reg'd before Aug'98" remit, but still exempt.

It would seen that this specific addition in the vosa emissions guide is to take into account kits manufactured before cat compulsoryness(!) and so potentially non-compliant, which take months / years to be put together and/or registered.

Hopefully that's at least saved some people from buying a cat

Ben

Edit for more carpy speeling

Edited by - _Benedict_ on 22 Sep 2012 09:39:16

Tin Man, I have a Cat in silencer system that bolts into my supersport exhaust system for use at MOT time. You're welcome to borrow it for your MOT if it fits and you can collect from Wokingham?

I also have discovered an MOT place that happily tests my 1999 car without the Cat. *wink*