Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres

elan_fan

Hi All, I would like to update my Seven in the wheel dept. I have 6x13 minator with 185/70x13 A021Rs. I would like to fit the Caterham wheels in 6x13 and 8x13 sizes. Was thinking about 185/60x13 front and 205/60x13 rears in A021R. Or should I go with the CR500s. Road use with the possibility of a track day. In all probability just road use (and not much of that judging by his years summer). Car is dedion widetrack K powered. If you have a better suggestion of tyre combination fire away.

Mark

Hi Mark

I have those size wheels on my R400. I changed from CR500 to medium Proxes 888 last weekend with the profiles you have in mind and have done about 200m since. So far I like them more (only in the dry so far). They feel like the side walls are more forgiving yet since they were scrubbed in, the grip level is as at least good or better than the Avons. The CR 500's did me proud on a couple of track days so I think I got a good feel for how well they perform. So far the Toyos are suggesting they will do better.

Bought the Toyos on eBay from Demon Tweeks, £370 for all 4 delivered, and they arrived in 2 days from order!

Hope that helps

Chris

It's my understanding that the Avons are an order of magnitude more expensive than the AO21Rs.

My friend ran Toyo Proxes on his MK2 golf. I don't remember him needing a new set the whole time he owned the car - including a few track days. Personally that says to me that the tyre is probably too hard for 7 use but maybe they come in different compounds?

Yep, the 888s come in Medium and Soft compounds. The mediums I am using seem to be equivalent to if not better than the Avons. The softs must be quite sticky.

I also hear that the CR500s are on back order whereas the Toyos and Yokos are available reasonably widely.

In my view, it doesn't matter how good a tyre is - if you can't buy one when you need one, it is academic.

Good point about the sump clearance. I have speed bumps around most of the local roads which I have to negotiate before finding proper roads. This profile has made a surprising difference in how easy I can now clear them. I know there isn't much profile difference between 175/50 and 185/60 but it certainly helps.