Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starcom digital intercom

Luegonigel

Hi, a few intercom lessons learned.

I got an all singing and dancing Starcom digital with bluetooth adapter. The little box has all sorts of connections for iPods etc. to be plugged in.

First mistake was to buy the PRO-002 boom mikes. No helmets used just wooly hats.

here

As can be seen from the above photo (not me, not that much hair!), the ear piece locking into the ear provides the only support for the boom. Found that it would not lock in to my wifes ear lobe enough and the boom kept moving. The mikes are very sensitive to position so the fact that the boom kept moving rendered them hopeless a few minutes after first fitting.

Then bought a throat mike SH-045 to try it out, what a revelation, vastly better. Bought another throat mike, job done.

here

Sadly couldn't return the boom mikes (£100 each) as they are classed as "in ear products" and cannot be returned even though the ear plug bits are removeable and replaceable.

If anyone uses the boom mikes and needs some spares, I'm open to offers. They are new and have only been on a couple of short blats to try them out.

As an aside after another abortive trial run with the first throat mike when I couldn't get it to work I was told that the extension lead for the throat mike has to be used as the wiring swaps over inside therefore a boom mike extension lead has to be used. The abortive trial run was to Classic Le Mans so a tad frustrating! 1600 mile round trip.

I had the same issue with the PRO-002 boom mikes, I found when I turned my head to do a "life saver" the boom will catch on the collar of whatever I am wearing and pop out of my ear when I turn back ☹️. Am now using the throat mic ( *smile*excellent) with what seems like yards of cable.

The challenge which I haven't been able to resolve yet is why I cannot transmit over PMR via the Starcom Digital.

Edited by - Jerry on 8 Aug 2012 11:49:26

We have a Starcom digital and bought the PRO-002 headsets, having been recommended them by friends.

Our initial thoughts about the headsets were similar to those on here but having paid good money for them (though £80 each not £100) we persevered with various earpieces and nodules and now they're perfect.

We do also have paddock style headsets (they came with the second hand Starcom) and find them okay but unusable on long drives in hot weather. Also, wearing cans I'm not able to wear my Tilley hat to protect my 'dome'.

Jerry, we use our Starcom in conjunction with a Kenwood PMR. On a recent 2300 mile trip around France with three other 7's the only transmit problem we had was when the batteries were getting low. Apparently they require much more power to transmit than receive. Either that, or check that your PTT button is fully functional.

Be lucky!!

Martin

*arrowup* Martin. interesting.. are you saying that with a better fitted earpiece they don't "pop out" or are you attaching the boom in some way ?

The PMR transmit issue is v odd, PMR works fine with throat mic but will not work correctly thro' Starcom Digital. Have tried swapping out various leads and connections etc. It is supposed to auto transmit via Vox. Think it will need a trip to Starcom people to be fully investigated. ☹️

typos

Edited by - Jerry on 9 Aug 2012 10:08:33

*arrowup* Yes Jerry, that's exactly what I'm saying. We bought a selection (types and sizes) of eartips from here and after a little experimenting Jo and I come upon the right combination (Jo actually uses a different type of tip in each ear).

We had a plan B which was to have custom eartips made by and audiologist. This is something we may still do in the future but to be honest the headsets are very comfortable as they are.

I'd be interested to hear what Starcom have to say about your PMR problems.

Be lucky!!

Martin

Nigel YHM back *wink*.

Jerry, I'm not sure about Starcom, but on my Autocom the VOX function works between driver and pax, and you need to use a PTT (push-to-talk) button to make the PMR transmit - otherwise you'd be broadcasting all your in-car comms over PMR which could be *redface* *wink*

HTH

*arrowup* On the Starcom Digital there are two VOX settings. One for Driver/Passenger and one for Car/Car via PMR.

As you say Ian you don't really want permanent VOX between cars because private conversations can be heard. Some PTT buttons have a VOX switch which allows for you to easily go from VOX to PTT mode. one of our touring party has such a switch and they refer to it as their 'Love switch" They do occasionally forget that they're on VOX and the results are certainly amusing 😬.

It would be far to dangerous a thing for Jo and I to have *redface*

Quoting Ian B: 
Nigel YHM back *wink*.

Jerry, I'm not sure about Starcom, but on my Autocom the VOX function works between driver and pax, and you need to use a PTT (push-to-talk) button to make the PMR transmit - otherwise you'd be broadcasting all your in-car comms over PMR which could be *redface* *wink*

HTH

Ah! Yes, quite correct, there is a PTT switch. (Havn't used it for a few months). Starcom replaced the PMR (Kenwood UBZ) cable but situation remains.

Quoting weeman: 
*arrowup* On the Starcom Digital there are two VOX settings. One for Driver/Passenger and one for Car/Car via PMR.

Ah OK, don't know the "digital" very well.

one of our touring party has such a switch and they refer to it as their 'Love switch" They do occasionally forget that they're on VOX and the results are certainly amusing 😬.

Oh g'wan, do tell 😬

Jerry, can you receive via the PMR and just not transmit?

If so, check your Kenwood is set to the correct CTCSS tone that the rest of the group are using.

Most of us touring use Channel 7, CTCSS 7 (for some reason *wink*).

Quoting Ian B: 
Quoting weeman: 

Ah OK, don't know the "digital" very well.

one of our touring party has such a switch and they refer to it as their 'Love switch" They do occasionally forget that they're on VOX and the results are certainly amusing 😬.

Oh g'wan, do tell 😬

Jerry, can you receive via the PMR and just not transmit?

If so, check your Kenwood is set to the correct CTCSS tone that the rest of the group are using.

Most of us touring use Channel 7, CTCSS 7 (for some reason *wink*).

Yes can receive o.k and have checked am using correct CTCSS and as mentioned in earleir post it works fine independently of the Starcom *confused*

*confused* hmm, As you've replaced the Starcom-PMR lead, and the CTSS is OK when used manually, I think that's about all the advice I can offer remotely I'm afraid.

Will be interested to hear what it turns out to be though.

• 2 months later...

I have my (old Autocom Pro 7) unit mounted in the boot between the "V" uprights on the back of the bulkhead.

The headsets plug into sockets mounted through the bulkhead above the rear of the tunnel, with the PMR radio above them:

here

Quoting Ian B: 
I have my (old Autocom Pro 7) unit mounted in the boot between the "V" uprights on the back of the bulkhead.

The headsets plug into sockets mounted through the bulkhead above the rear of the tunnel, with the PMR radio above them:

here

Apologies if I'm being rather dim here, but from your pictures it looks like you have the SC mounted in the boot and another on the tunnel *confused*