Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hot R500

DF500

Coming back from Le Mans, the transmission tunnel on my Duratec R500 was so hot I ended with burns on my leg. Anyone else suffer from this and do they have a solution - apart from wearing asbestos trousers?

Pretty common problem that's still not fully resolved judging by my conversation with CC when I had my 500 serviced a few months back.

If memory serves there are a few things that you can try to alleviate the problem:

1 heat reflective / insulating material on the inside of the transmission tunnel.

2 lag the primaries

3 carpet

4 You used to be able to get a fabric mesh replacement for the gear lever gaitor / hand brake which allows the hot air to escape from the transmission tunnel. Sadly carbon bits is no longer around.

There's probably more if you search the old posts on here.

Duncan

Hi,

When rebuilding my car, I changed all tunnel panels with carbon and had the exhaust ceramic coated inside and outside. Not even close to the temp build up in the alu.panels. *thumbup*

Engine is Duratec 2.3 /seq.gearbox.

666 Roadracing did mine and probably still have the template I gave them.

Ive used garage door insulation reflective material to line the inside of my cockpit and pedal box. Plus I have the usual lining material on the transmission side of the cockpit and the exhaust heat wrapped.

The heat is now fine even after 6 hours at 30C ambient heat.

We showed Oxted trimming the cockpit lining and they took up the idea and produced some very nice insulated carbon effect ( same as the R500 boot cover) stick on panels for the interior cockpit sides *thumbup*

These are now available from Oxted *thumbup* *biggrin*

Quoting Paul Jacobs: 
I assume you have the transmission tunnel carpeted?

No carpet in an R500. Minor burns come as part of the package.

Quoting Dave Jackson: 
We showed Oxted trimming the cockpit lining and they took up the idea and produced some very nice insulated carbon effect ( same as the R500 boot cover) stick on panels for the interior cockpit sides

These are now available from Oxted

Would be interested to know more. Any idea on price?

I used 4" kingspan to line the cockpit of mine , no heat whatsoever gets thru it, unfortunately I cant get in the car anymore. 😬

has anyone ever come up with a solution for getting cool air into the footwell, its not a problem limited to R500s, im sure they all get hot enough to burn, paricularly if the tunnels naked ali,In Italy a few years ago mine got hot enough to melt the adhesive holding the carpet in place, the carpet slipped and I got red hot sticky adhesive on my leg *mad* ouch ya Batsard ,I reckon knacker ducts would be a good call. 😬

Trotsky

Quoting Paul Jacobs:

I assume you have the transmission tunnel carpeted?

No carpet in an R500. Minor burns come as part of the package.

So what is the complaint all about? If minor burns are part of what the R500 is all about, I don't understand!

If I didn't like getting burnt, I would make sure my tunnel was insulated, otherwise, just keep it to yourself, until you have taken sensible steps to protect yourself.

For goodness sake............................................

Yea, I know, words fail me sometimes. 😔

Paul