Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Laminova Fitting - Restrictor yes/no ?

Simon Owen

See below note from Thnink Automotive web site:

“The water flows through the centre of the core, for most applications where the full pump flow is available (above 80 litres per minute)this works well, however where only a lesser flow is available as in by-pass installations e.g.the heater circuit on a road car is a by-pass, removable plugs/restrictors will force most of the water through the outer extruded channels.”

Does anybody know what the impact of these restrictors is and whether or not they are required when fitting to a typical k series set up ?

I have dropped a note to Think but just wanted to check the power of blatchat 😬

Thanks.

Simon, where are you thinking of fitting it, on the K-Series the normal place is in the top hose which is not in the bypass circuit so you won't need the restrictors. Or are you planning to fit into the heater circuit?

If you have an Apollo then Carl @ SevenSpeed does a complete kit for fitting to this setup.

Graham.

Graham,

Thanks.

The unit is fitted to the top hose as you describe and as far as i am aware without a restrictor. At the time of fitting I wasn't aware of the restrictor option but have since had the debate with a couple of other club members who have done the same and just wanted to check ?

Can't say I fully understand it but the restrictor seems to be an option for when you are not getting full flow through the laminova thus increasing it's efficiency by directing flow towards the fins *confused*

Ah, sorry didn't understand you had fitted it already, all I can assume is that as the water simply flows through the centre of the Laminova, I guess in a full flow situation this is fine but where flow is restricted (or lower rate) then placing an insert in the centre of the flow and forcing it towards the outside of the "pipe" increases it's ability to transfer heat in either direction. I wouldn't have thought you want a restrictor in the top hose though.

Be interesting to see what "Think" say on the subject.

Graham.

Unless you have the QED Remote Stat then it won't fit ☹️, I can't fit one on mine but have fitted one to someone else's car. It does appear to drop the oil pressure somewhat though, I guess as you now have a largely unrestricted (hence lower pressure) point in the oil flow.

Does what it says on the tin though, warms up oil quickly and limits temps on track nicely.

Graham.

• Leadership Team

From experience .....

In a wet-sumped K it's an easy fit in the top hose - because the car "should" have an Apollo it is easily fitted in with Apollo plumbing routed off the same sandwich plate. No need to shorten the water rail unless you have the remote stat in the top hose as well. Slight reduction in oil pressure with this setup because it's after the pressure pump.

In a dry-sumped K there usually no Apollo therefore no sandwich plate - easier to fit in the by-pass hose and mount on the heater tray - with the oil feed from the scavenge pump to the tower. This has the advantage that the by-pass hose heats up quicker than the top hose and being in the scavenge return it causes no reduction in oil pressure.

A restrictor makes sense when fitted to the by-pass hose because the flow is much less than when in the top hose - this would still be my choice for a dry-sump setup.

Stu.