Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll Cage on early DeDion

ECR

Anyone fitted a cage to an early DeDion chassis (1987 vintage) ? This is the one with vertical upper rear shock absorber mounts (not horizontal like the later ones). Preferably a double D arrangement that still allows use of the hood and screen ...

Edited by - ecr on 7 Apr 2012 12:50:24

I have an 87 chassis car with the early de dion set up which included the top spindle mounts for the rear shocks and I fitted a cage as seen here. I've tried to find the thread from when I bought it, but it isn't leaping out of the search results. I'm pretty sure it was described as a live axle cage. It fitted my de dion fine. The problem was the driver didn't fit through the cage! *redface*

What are your concerns?

Just give Bruce a ring He built the car and will know exactly what is required A good friend went through this recently and bought what he was told by seller was the correct item for his Car *thumbdown* *mad* In the end Bruce sorted it perfectly and he wasn't that expensive Face to face and Cash works best.

• 1 month later...

I'm the "friend" and just posting to close the enquiry. I found a S3 race cage from a 2004 Academy car imperial chassis and modified it to fit (Thanks to Martin). I did miss-lead Roger with my original question in that I'd forgotton that I had modified my suspension with an upgrade kit from Caterham which replaced the front trunnions and more relevant to this thread replaced the rear spindle dampers with a horizontal upper fixing on the damper fixed to a bracket that also took the rear anti-roll bar - the car has sat in the garage for 5 or 6 years and there have been many other projects in between!

The mod to the roll cage was simply to saw off the mounting bosses on the main rollover hoop and replace them with a plate that was identical to the plate on my FIA roll bar. The surprise for me was that the mounting points in the boot did not match up with the rear of the roll cage - they were too low by a considerable amount. So I had to make up and fix new mounting brackets to the rear of the car in the boot, identical to those already in the lower position. The final mod to the car was to replicate pn the drivers side the fixing boss that already existed on the passenger side to fix the petty strut of the FIA roll bar. Et voila ! Ca roule!