Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ital Axel "clonking".......HELP!!!

C1 1YNX

Please help me before I take my Caterham out into a field & set fire to it!

I have an Ital axel, it is making a speed related clonking. (bad enough that I will not drive the car). It started after I replaced the offside bearing & shaft (I would have just done the bearing but the previous owner had welded the bearing to the shaft!).

I have also replaced the "A" frame bushes. The bearing & shaft on the nearside are also relatively new.

It doesnt appear to be the joint on the drive shaft either.

What the hell is it?!?!

Answers on a postcard please!!!

Is the knocking coming from the Axle when you are cornering? You can test this when stationary by pull sharply on the roll bar. If so, it could be the bearing moving on the halfshaft. Did you shim the bearing?

Did you loosen/remove the trailing arms to do the modifications? Could they be loose?

Are the nuts on the end of the halfshaft done up enough? (From memory 100flbs?) Note it is always worth checking the nuts after a bit of use. I had one that became loose and resulted in a knackered halfshaft.

Could the noise be coming from the drum rather than from within the axle?

Thanks for the reply:

It knocks in a straight line from the second you pull off.

I didnt shim the bearing but im convinced its not the bearing. I have jacked up the rear end & run the engine, not in gear it still spins the rear wheels slowly & the noise is there. If i stop either wheel from spinning i still get the noise so it cant be the drum or bearing on either side.

The nuts are done up "FT" - as i have leant my torq wrench to a friend and have not got it back yet!

I am beginning to think i have "lost a tooth" in the diff - what do you think?

I have a video of it i can email you if you think it may help?

Edited by - C1 1YNX on 29 Mar 2012 21:01:03

It does sound like a lost tooth I'm afraid... same happened to me last year. Test is easy:

Jack rear end off the ground (on A frame) then gradually rotate the road wheel back and forth moving a little further round each time. If you have a tooth gone at some point you will feel slack ... in my case of 3 to 4 inches!

You may need to rotate road wheel up to 4 times.. ie 4:1 ratio? is that how it works??!!!

Good luck... Andy

PS cannot recommend Redline highly enough... John sorted mine.

Edited for rubbish beer induced spelling!

Edited by - dalongbloke on 30 Mar 2012 10:56:54

Thanks,

I was afraid that might be the case! I will test it tomorrow.

I have been using Redline for ages - they are fantastic.

Thanks again for everyone's input, much appreciated. I'm not much good with cars

But if you have any computer issues...... that's what I do!

If it is the CWP that is broken. It might be worth talking Jigsaw, I believe they still do an uprated/stronger CWP.

That would be the 2nd CWP failure this week. Caterbram's went at the Intro to Sprinting day on Saturday. Let's just hope that "these things come in threes" doesn't strike me!

Apparently, a 2CV diff will not withstand much wheel spinning abuse *redface* *redface* *redface* This is the pinion: http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/123_506299661192_193104608_33605003_4683_n.jpg

The crown wheel was equally chewed, and half the teeth seemed to reside in the bottom of the gearbox. But then, a second hand gearbox is only £100 *wink* I broke that too *eek*

Yup mine died last weekend, on stripping down there was one tooth missing which looked like it decided it did not like being left alone and got jammed between the Crown and Pinion.

Luckily i've got a spare diff unit which i'm checking the shimming on this weekend before refitting.

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 31 Mar 2012 07:10:21

Ok, just stripped the back end of mine & got the diff out. You will have to forgive my technical ignorance, I know how to take things apart but I dont know what most bits are called!

The part of the diff that feeds through the pinion bearing & turns the crown wheel (think it may well be the pinion)has shed 3 teeth - hence the clonking! Just need to replace that bit! Any ideas whether I can get it by itself?

It's not as straight forward as just swaping the pinion as you need to make sure there is no damage to the crown gear and the reshim to the correct clearances.

I was lucky as I already had a spare diff which I just needed to swap the LSD into and reset the clearances.

I know that there has been a few suggestions through around already with Road&Race transmission and MacMillan motor sport. both for spares or for rebuilding and reset the one you have already.

I was hoping to get away with it! I also have a 26 year old Landrover where the tolerances are slightly more tolerant!!!! Will do some phoning about tomorrow! Many thanks for all your input, it's very much appreciated.

This is what mine looked like when I stripped it down

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/530153_10150675387548881_132412333880_9526171_764738262_n.jpg

Is your's an open or limited slip ?

Looking on the Jugsaw site they are looking at prices from £235 for a recon, which I assume is a standard open diff, deffinatly worth taking advice and talking to them, road & race or Macmillan.

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 1 Apr 2012 18:03:53

Looks worse than mine! I guess yours stopped driving? Mine still moved all be it very noisily! I was hoping not to replace the entire diff - seems a little extreme seeing as only a small piece is broken! Will find out tomorrow.

Nasty Cluncking over the line at 6000RPM and no drive.

stripped one tooth off the crown and about 1/2" off the inside of every tooth on the crown. had to spoon the bit's out of the inside of the axle before giving it a good clean.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/557126_10150676077108881_132412333880_9529040_525819916_n.jpg

There's a good video on youtube on how to setup a rear diff which you will find interesting

Took her out for the first time today, trying to remember what she sounded like before to decide if she was noisier or quiter than before.

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 1 Apr 2012 19:56:47

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 1 Apr 2012 19:57:17

Hi, just a thought but I had a similar mystery clonking on my live axle car years ago - it actually turned out to be a collapsed / failed gearbox mount - it's unfortunately very fiddly to access but can be replaced without removing the engine and gearbox. Undo the bolt (there's a round hole in the floor) and carefully jack up the gearbox to check it. Basically if it's gone it allows lateral movement which causes the clonking.