Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Links - Opening in New Tabs

AdC

Just curious, but all links posted in threads open in the current tab, unlike any other site I visit, where a new Tab is opened and the original site is preserved in the first. Is it me? Is there a way to get links to open in new tabs without the 'right click>open in new tab routine? Ta'.

Quoting Neil66: 
Quoting Site Manager: 
no, it's not you; it's by design.

Is there a special reason for this?

I'm in agreement that the normal expectation is opening links in a new tab - very user friendly..!

Yes. If I make that decision, you can't decide otherwise; if I don't, you can.

It goes against the logic and practice of just about every other website I've used. If it's a performance issue then I could understand it, but if it's just "because I want to" then you've got me scratching my head. - other posters - it's either Chrome on the laptop or Safari / Atomic on the iPad, but I think the Admin has confirmed it's just something he wanted to do differently / better than other sites.

Quoting Site Manager: 
Yes. If I make that decision, you can't decide otherwise; if I don't, you can.

I see where you're coming from and yes it's easy to right click when you're used to it but not sure I understand this is worth being different to the norm for...

Quoting AdC: 
...but if it's just "because I want to" ..... ...... Admin has confirmed it's just something he wanted to do differently / better than other sites.

It's not just 'because he wants to' - it's because he's giving us an option. However, as the norm is open new tab, it takes a bit of getting used to here on BC...

I'm intrigued by this notion that opening links in new tabs is the norm. I don't think I've ever seen this on a site.

e.g. BBC News, Google, Wikipedia all load links within the window you're browsing in, unless the "Open in new tab" is invoked. Are you guys using a different internet to me? :)

Quoting spiderlane: 
I'm intrigued by this notion that opening links in new tabs is the norm. I don't think I've ever seen this on a site. ...

Should have said "Forums"... seems pretty much standard practice on the ones I look at.

The BBC has re-worked their site so that the status of links is more obvious. Links to other BBC pages within your current sub-site (i.e. still on the BBC News site if that's where you currently are) will open in the existing tab. Links to external sites will open in a new tab, and are identified with an arrow on them to indicate they will do so.

Most of the forums I frequent open links in new tabs. Pistonheads opens links to other Pistonheads pages in new tabs.

Having written all that, I ain't bovvered one way or t'other. I like those sites that have links opening in additional tabs, but I can see that Barry has given the end user options.