Click here if you are having website access problems ×

15" 10-spoke wheels Painted or Powder Coated?

michaeljclark

another vote for city powder coaters, I had 14 wheels done las week, my ones are now satin black and look great, just need to find some tyres.

The caterham ones had lost in excess of 50% of the powder coat in 5 years, including inside the tyre area!

• 5 months later...
Just collected my Barnby rims from City Powder Coating - absolutely superb job 😬 in sparkle silver *cool* and they were a real mess 😳, the ally was corroded, scraped and covered in old weights adhesive and general sh*t. Sprayed the centres myself, but I wish I hadn't ☹️. £20 per rim, not a £90 job as I'd been quoted elsewhere, but they are better than I'd have thought possible. The regular 8-spoke anthracites with the flaky powder coating would be better than new.

So for £20....

What is the process??

Do they:

Remove and Refit tyres inc proper balance?

Strip using chemical (good) or blast (bad)?

Powder prime, powder colour and the spray clear?

Do they abide by good H&S for their employees, and dispose of toxins legally and responsibly?

If so, I cannot see how it can be done for that price.

AT £20/wheel, lets assume they do more than 15 wheels a day in their 3000sq/ft factory. But they don't charge VAT???? Smells a bit dodgy......

I'm not surprised, with the quantity of wheels they must deal with, that there's going to be some issues that are publicised from time to time, especially with the ease of internet comms these days.

It seems that the guy in the thread you linked to Arnie got his money back in full when he contacted them (after he'd posted several times on the forum first).

Quoting EFA: 
So for £20....

What is the process??

Do they:

Remove and Refit tyres inc proper balance?

Strip using chemical (good) or blast (bad)?

Powder prime, powder colour and the spray clear?

Do they abide by good H&S for their employees, and dispose of toxins legally and responsibly?

If so, I cannot see how it can be done for that price.

AT £20/wheel, lets assume they do more than 15 wheels a day in their 3000sq/ft factory. But they don't charge VAT???? Smells a bit dodgy......

Their process is stated on their website as:

Full Chemical Stripping

Shot Blasting

Sanding /prep/ refurb

Powder Coating (any standard colour - super gloss balck and silver sparkle included)

Full Lacquer coat for added protection

From their FAQ:

Can I bring my wheels with tyres on ?

Yes we are now able to remove and refit tyres for an extra cost of just £10 per wheel , this includes rebalancing with new weights and valves.

Aha, so £30 per wheel and a crap job.... Very *cool* I'm sure.

What about the VAT? 🤔

And Companies House shows:

CITY POWDER COATERS LTD

9 BENACRE DRIVE

DIGBETH

BIRMINGHAM

WEST MIDLANDS

UNITED KINGDOM

B5 5RF

Company No. 06836447

Status - DISOLVED in 2010 Traded for a year, no accounts ever filed. 😔

Their website however shows them as still trading under the aforementioned identity 😔

I'm sorry, but they appear dodgy as hell.

And of course, getting your money back weeks later, then having to get your wheels done again is no inconvenience at all is it..... *confused*

Edited by - EFA on 24 Aug 2012 19:17:27