Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front damper removal troubles

IanW

• Area Representative

I am attempting to remove the front dampers (to fit adjustable platforms) and the right-hand side is proving difficult.

The bottom bolt unscrews until it disengages from the a-frame. But it won't come out. There is about 3mm of head showing and no matter how much I pull on it with pliers of mole-grips it doesn't want to come out. I'm guessing that it has 'attached' itself to the bush somehow.

Any suggestions.

3mm isn't much, I think it should unwind a bit further than that before you can pull it out - I think the whole head comes clear of the wishbone before you can pull it. As it is a fine thread you have to unwind it quite a lot.

Edited by - Grubbster on 25 Feb 2012 17:40:00

I know exactly what you mean. It won't unscrew any more than 3 mm because the tip of the capscrew has already disengaged from the female threaded hole. The rubber bush puts sufficient side load to grip the capscrew. I had the same problem. I spent a whole evening trying to extract this one capscrew while doing a wide track conversion. It was easier to take off the whole lower wishbone. Then I put the exposed 3 mm of head in a vice and it just slipped out. Did the same for the other side. *cool*

• Area Representative

Thanks Chewie, that's just the sort of information I need *eek*. Not sure I want to take the whole assembly off though. I'll have another go tomorrow to see if I can't ease it out somehow.

Steve - As to the 3mm showing, I checked the other side without the damper in place and the bolt slid in until the same 3mm was left. Only then does it need turning to engage the thread.

It's likely because the spring is pushing down and the wishbone is pushing up (when you torque up the wishbones it's in the horizontal, not the droop, so the bushes want to return the wishbone to the horizontal, if you see what I mean...).

So with the needle nose pliers on the caphead, push down on the wishbone and see if it slides out. It's a rubbish design, at least you didn't round one off in there like I did...

• Area Representative

Update:

Another couple of hours spent trying to remove the bolt without success.

I tried a pair of pincers (circa 1950 😬) but still couldn't get any movement other than rotational.

Having inspected the aluminium spacer bush from the other side, I can see that it is scored on the inside from the thread of the bolt. If the same has happened on the one I'm having trouble with and the spacer is 'threaded' on to the bolt and if it is turning freely inside the damper, then this is the reason it won't come out.

Trust me taking out the two wishbone bolts is a run in the sun. Like you I spent hours with mole grips, spring compressors, clamps, etc. As it was a wide track conversion the wishbones had to come off anyway. Back to your issue, try Dremeling (new verb) a notch groove on the capscrew head to give you something to lever against.

• Area Representative

Finally sorted 😬 😬 *thumbup*

I used a dremel type tool to cut a couple of grooves into the head, clamped the pincers on and gingerly hit with a hammer. It moved but didn't come completely out - until I used a bigger hammer 😬.

Thanks for all the suggestions.