Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SATNAV SOCKET

NickK123

Any top tips for installing a Satnav socket? Does anyone sell a kit for installation? Happy to do work but would rather not fabricate bracket, loom etc. (Time to move on from 'kamikaze approach', ie, waiting for power to expire on gizmo and then having to get map out whilst driving!)

there are several threads on here relating to installing a 12v socket in the dash. Many use (as have I ) a yacht one from a chandlery that has a rubber flip up cap to keep the water out. You simply wire it direct to the battery and it serves as a battery charging socket also. Using a 'fag' lighter plug you then do not have to take the bonnet off to charge or top up the battery. If you need more info and or some photos then shout. I am sure some one will come up with the link with photos on it....check the faq page too. Its easy to do.

Fil *wavey*

If you don't want to make holes in the dash, you could simply attach a ciggie-lighter socket to the underneath of the steering column (just above your knees) with a couple of cable ties. Run an earth wire to the instrument earthing point (usually under the dash on the left), and run a live wire direct to the battery via an inline 10A fuse. As others have pointed out, this type of socket makes connecting a battery conditioner a doddle.

JV

• Area Representative

Local boat chandlers did a little kit for a surface mounted socket. Its black ABS and shaped like a small wedge. I fitted mine under the dash and on to the bulkhead with direct wiring to the battery - don't forget a fuse in the positive side! I think it was less than a tenner to do

Nick

Just founs this on fleebay, includes inline fuse. (Sorry can't do link, not clever enough *redface*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Fused-12V-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Outlet-iPhone-4S-/380378762273?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5890574c21

£8.99. There are some cheaper ones bit this has all the 'bits'. I like it simple.

I've just fitted a socket using this kit

I used the supplied loom straight from the battery, so it could be used for a battery conditioner. The fuse is very close to the positive terminal and I used grommit to take the wire through the bulkhead just below the inertia switch. The earth cable fitted onto the earth near the wiper motor.

I made a bracket which used a tube that fitted into the LHS side steering column mount that is present on the metric chassis (not exactly weight saving design that *rolleyes* )

Hope this helps *smile*

Duncan

I have one flush mounted into the dash, and another two 😳 flush mounted through the bulkhead above the passengers knees

here

Dash one, and one underneath, are each wired via a fuse to the battery, and the second one underneath is fed via an ignition switched feed.

I bought the sockets from a caravan shop (oh the shame *wink*) - quite a bit cheaper than the same thing from Maplin at the time.