Click here if you are having website access problems ×

13' or 15' wheels?

ZED02

At Caterham I see some R400 to be sold with 13" wheels, others with 15" wheels ... what should have been the reason fitting 13" on one of these cars? Would it be better for racing and why? What about using 13" on the road?

Quoting ZED02: 
At Caterham I see some R400 to be sold with 13" wheels, others with 15" wheels ... what should have been the reason fitting 13" on one of these cars?
There are numerous reasons for fitting 13" tyres.

1) The weight is lower

2) There are more tyre types available

3) With a high profile tyre (for example A021-r 185/70-13) you get a more absorbent tyre than low profile 15" tyres

4) The price is usually lower

5) ...

Quoting ZED02: 
Would it be better for racing and why?
Probably on account of the saved weight

Quoting ZED02: 
What about using 13" on the road?
What about it? As both Bob and M25 says, 13" are excellent for road use.

Or, you have an SV and a nice set of 15" John Brown wheel replica Minilites from Demontweeks makes the car look just like a normal Seven only bigger!

To my eye, 13" wheels on an SV look ridiculous, they make the thing look overly slab-sided and out of scale. Ours is on 14" at the moment, I sold its OE 15" Prisoners.

Seriously, I have noticed the JBW minilite reps are the only ones I've seen which look just like the original Minilites. They seem to have the ridge on the spokes just right, and also the centre boss is correct.

Most of the other makes are just "vaguely like" a Minilite.

Edited by - Unclefester on 20 Jan 2012 12:20:50

13 inch wheels should be better on the road and track as they are lighter. The suspention can do its job better with ligher wheels and tyres as the inertia of the wheels bouncing up and down is considerable and the more this is reduced the better and the tyres will stay in better contact with the road. Acceleration and braking should also be better as there is less weight to be accelerated and decelerated (rotational) - same as lightening a flywheel but to a lower degree. Higher sidewalls work very well on a 7 and on the road absorb the imperfectios of the road. There is also a great choice of tyres for 13 inch rims.

Larger rims fill the arches better so look good.

What I never quite understand about this regular debate, is the view that larger wheels fill the arches more.

Roughly speaking (not based on actually measuring anything). If you've got, say, 195/50/15 compared to 195/70/13, is that not, about 30mm difference in circumference, so 15mm around the wheel arch? Surely, that's hardly noticeable.

Anyway, I run 15" with Prisoners, which some people will bury their head in their hands about, but my car is planted, and it ain't slow!

edit: update

Managed to navigate the english version and find the article. The website doesn't always keep the English language as you navigate, so I've copied it here.

Tyres

Extensive testing on both road and track has enabled us to gather definitive results regarding tyre recommendations for the Caterham Super 7 SIII und SV. We prefer radial tyres, driven with camber.

Top performer for the more sporty everday allrounder is without a doubt the Yokohama A 048. Especially on the Nürburgring Nordschleife there is no better alternative!

Best results were achieved when using the following tyre/rim combination:

Front axle using 7,0 x 13" offset 21 rim with Yokohama A 048 R 185/60 R 13 in S-Compound (Soft).

Rear axle using 8,0 x 13" offset 9 rim with Yokohama A 048 R 205/60 R 13 in M-Compound (Medium).

Yokohama offers sufficient ground clearance with excellent grip and comfort. The rear wheel drive causes the rear tyres to warm up much faster than the front tyres, thus developing much better grip in a shorter time. The colder front tyres are therefore prone to understeer, which not only limits driving pleasure, but also increases the risk of an accident. Often enough the results are costly flat spots on your tyres.

Yokohama is the only semi-slick tyre manufacturer, which supplies the commonly used tyre sizes in various compounds. By using the soft S-Compound of Yokohama on the front axle and the M-compound on the rear axle, the imbalance between the axles is equalized.

For the ultimate experience in both fun and performance, we recommend Kumho Ecsta V70A.

With this tyre the sky is the limit and we are able to fully exploit your wildest dreams. The amount of grip offered by this tyre is such that it should actually be forbidden for road use!

We differentiate between the following tyre / rim sizes:

175/60 R 13 on rim 7,0 x 13" offset 21

215/50 R13 on rim 8,0 x 13" offset 9

235/45 R13 on rim 8,5 x 13" offset 15 or 9,0 x 13" offset 21 or 9

For vehicles up to 150 bhp the best combination is a 175/60 R 13 for the front axle 215/50 R13 at the rear and especially for high performance engines up to 300 bhp, the combination 215/50 R13 (front) and 235/45 R13 (rear) is highly recommend. You will also get best results here if different tyre compounds are used on the front and rear axle. We also offer wider cycle wings in both standard and CSR design for the broader 8" rims in the front. In combination with our ultra light cycle wing brackets in aluminium, this is really the ultimate!

Tried and tested best performer for the race track are definitely Michelin slicks, which are usually used in Formula Renault and Formula BMW.

Here our recommendation for rim / tyre size is as follows:

16/53-13 on rim 7,0 x 13" offset 21

20/54-13 on rim 8,0 x 13" offset 9

22/54-13 on rim 9,0 x 13" offset 9 or 9,5 x 13" offset 15

23/57-13 on rim 10,0 x13" offset 21 or 9

The weaker K-Series Caterham up to 140 bhp runs best with a combination of 16/53-13 on a 7,0 x 13" offset 21 rim (front) and for the rear a 20/54-13 on a 8,0 x 13" offset 9 rim.

In the class of 150 - 200 bhp, you are quickest with 20/54-13 on a 8,0 x 13" offset 9 rim and the rears with 22/54-13 on 9,0 x 13" offset 9 or 9,5 x 13" offset 15 rims.

Stronger cars run best on 20/54-13 on a 8,0 x 13" offset 9 rim in the front and 23/57-13 on a 10,0 x 13" offset 21 or offset 9 rim in the rear. For the 10 x 13" offset 9 we offer wider wings as well.

Of course we also offer the original Avon tyres, which are fitted as original equipment.

Edited by - keybaud on 20 Jan 2012 19:14:09