Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Turbo Hayabusa

Croc

After educating a member by phone last night on the wonders of the internet and in particular, Blatchat....I offerred to post his technical question here as for me to go through the process of explaining how to register here would be slower. I can then print out the answers and show him.... *tongue*

I have already demonstrated the search function for all history, just trying to add to the existing Blatchat knowledge already posted. Anyway, here is his question:

I am looking to turbocharge the Hayabusa engine in my car and would like to hear from anyone who has lived with a turbocharged seven. I have lowered the compression, installed heavy duty head bolts and adjustable cam sprockets. Other than that it is basicaly stock. I have a Garrett GT28 turbo and a big intercooler. I am hoping to run 7 or 8 psi and would be happy if I could get 250 RELIABLE horsepower.

I am comfortable my formula will work well in a bike but a car application is different. The loads on the engine are greater and more constant than in a bike and I have concerns with heat buildup.

Can someone with experience with boosted cars tell me where the "bodies are burried". I have a bike engined car already but I have never seen a turbo bike engined car so it is difficult for me think my way through this. I would prefer not to reinvent the wheel and would like to learn from the experience of others, rather than beat my own path and leave a trail of blown engines in my wake.

I read a number of roadtests in the car magazines of a turbocharged D*x and they rave about it, but I am sure there is a downside. Surely by now enough of these fantastic engines have been boosted that the weak links are known and fixed.

Thanks in advance *smile*

No experience - but it could be worth seeking input from Dax Rush owners, the turbo'd Hayabusa seemed a popular engine choice for them, more so than Caterhams.

I would have thought the Dax Rush was similar enough to provide the same lessons learnt.

Croc, get yourself (or your 'friend') *wink* over to the WSCC Boardroom (www.wscc.co.uk - it's free to register, post a question etc) there are at least a couple of turbo Busa cars on there (from memory there's a guy with one in Greece as well) and they'll have answers to all his questions *thumbup* *smokin* *wink* 😬

Edited by - peterg on 30 Nov 2011 15:51:53

John Hartley might know something about it, as he offers modified Hayabusa engines for sale specifically for installation in cars. I believe his pages start at www.h1v8.com, where you could locate his phone or e-mail contact info.

• Area Representative

A Turbo Hyabusa Seven, eh?

Back at the end of October I went to the Kit car show at Exeter (and it was a bit disappointing to be honest) but while I was there I did clock a very impressive Turbo Hyabusa Seven project (sadly not a Caterham - but then nobody's perfect 😬)

You can see some photos here and I'm sure if your friend gave the chap a call he'd talk him through some of the issues he's had along the way - He was telling me that he had custom made the exhaust manifold to prevent the turbo sticking out of the side of the body and he's hoping to reach 1000 bhp/ton *eek*

Good luck to your friend with his project though.

All the best

Richard