Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake bias

Ivaan

I have a diffrent set up having discs at the rear but I removed the rs15 this year from the front as I always flat spotted the tyres. I change pad compound and make to performance friction and unlike the rs15 they do not torque up like the rs15's. I prefer a pad that is easier to control, it can be if the same friction but present a different way. I have heard that ds2500 are less agressive than ds 3000.

David

I spoke to Hi-Spec today. The helpful chap there was amazed that RS15 pads were used on any Caterham. I've ordered a set of road spec pads, though he said these may have issues on track.

I'll see how the balance is with these, then if necessary go up a grade or two. It's a case of suck it and see.

Clive

Quoting Ivaan: 
The helpful chap there was amazed that RS15 pads were used on any Caterham.

They have their place - but not on a much lighter car like yours. I use them in my AP 4 pots in conjunction with RS14s on the back (in twin pot APs) and have by far the best brake package I've ever had in any of my track cars *thumbup*

Quoting Richard Price: 
Jez,

Clive's problem is that his rears don't "rock", as you put it!

Having looked at the spec of the RS15's, I can see why he's having such problems....

Indeed. To be honest, I don't think I would use any pads of this sort of spec on a road car. Plus, the ones I've got don't work well from cold. On a track, that's no problem. On the road, working from cold is much more important than working 100% when hot.

Jez

Richard, you responded to the following comment,

but isn't the problem here that you have 'F1' braking on the front and 'Morris Minor' braking on the rear.

by saying

No its a matter of balance Drum brakes can be very powerful

later you say;

It's no suprise that you are over braked on the front

*confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

Am I missing something here, or isn't matching front and rear brakes an integral part of balancing the brakes 🤔

All of the suggestions on this thread have the same outcome in mind; reducing the front end braking and increasing the rear.

To be honest, it's me being a bit of a numpty.

I think if I'd have identified the front pads in the first instance, the reason for the huge imbalance would have been obvious.

Just need to get the new pads fitted this w/e and give them a good test. 😬

Cheers,

Clive

I've changed to the EBC road spec pads and there's definitely an improvement. It takes more brake effort to lock the fronts, and the backs are taking effect.

I can't tell whether the rears are also locking, though the drums are getting hot.

For the time being, I'll let it all bed down, then have another look in the spring. May have to look at a bias valve or dual MCs.

Thanks for all the advice. *thumbup*

Clive