Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CC Aero Filler Cap & 'Newly Designed' Neck

AndrewGP

I've just received an Aero filler cap and 'newly' designed neck from Caterham and intend to fit it to the car this weekend. According to CC, this new design came in late August/early September and has been sold since then so I'm wondering if anyone else has got one and fitted it since then?

If so does it get round the filling issue? Or should I do a little pre-emptive strike on the flap inside the neck before I fit it? 😬

Edited by - grenpayne on 6 Oct 2011 15:19:06

Edited by - grenpayne on 6 Oct 2011 15:19:25

Why does everything have to be so difficult? *mad*

My old neck has 3 breather pipes coming off it and the new one only has two. I've done a search and this has come up before but no real conclusions as to the outcome. I've also found out why I can smell fuel as the breather p!sses it all out in LH turns *mad*

My neck looks like this shamelessly stolen image here. On my car the top looped tube just goes down to the bottom of the chassis to vent in the wheel arch. The breather pipe below it (middle right of the picture) goes via a tube to the top centre of my fuel tank and the tube on the left goes to the tank directly next to the main pipe.

How would I connect up the new neck with only two breather pipes? Would a two into one tee piece work (even though the two pipes concerned are different diameters!). I'm very confused and slightly annoyed too ☹️

Edited by - grenpayne on 6 Oct 2011 19:03:38

Edited by - grenpayne on 6 Oct 2011 19:04:45

I don't know if its the same as the new design, but the aero neck from my car looks like this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/4957745838_c92eb18c05.jpg

caterham-fuel-filler-004 by mark benger, on Flickr

The shiny red part to top left is the non return valve to prevent fuel spillage.

Never had major problems with refuelling, although some nozzles require rotation to fit.

Hi Mark, your picture is the same as the neck I have just received from CC with the two pipes coming off it. My car 's neck has three pipes. Two are as per your image and the third pipe exits the neck at the same level but opposite the lower pipe in the pic.

This third pipe then routes to the top centre of my fuel tank. What I like to know is whether this is also a breather and can I put a tee piece in to join it to the top breather pipe? Once I've done that I can then address the spillage issue with an NRV.

I replaced both the tank and the filler with an aero job last year following a an unfortunate anti-rollbar incident.

Both the new tank and the new filler neck have one less connection than the old ones - I think it was decided the third was surplus to requirements in the Caterham installation so was dreprecated.

In your situation, I would leave the spare tube attached to the tank but blank off the other end by doubling the tube back on itself and clamping with a jubilee clip or similar.

I left the flap in place and have not experienced any issues when filling - the slot cut in the top of the aero surround helps entry in this respect.

Thanks very much gents :)

I spoke to CC this morning and they suggested either blanking off as you suggest Ian or attaching it via a tee piece to the other breather. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out now I know what that pipe is!

Regarding the valve mod, would this one be suitable here?

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Liked the look of it - and bought one - arrived this morning *thumbup* (with free postage too}. Nice unit.

Bigger bore than my original. Added to the list of Things To Do !!

Yes mine arrived today too, bigger than I was expecting!

I've now bought all the bits to shamlessly rip off MBB's very neat installation and I'll be fitting it next weekend. I'll also take some images of the new design of neck and aero filler for people to have a look at.

Quoting Ian B: 
I've also found out why I can smell fuel as the breather p!sses it all out in LH turns

Had the same problem in 2004.

Another Caterham TADTS *rolleyes*

Well TADTS... UYFFIY (Until You Fix It Yourself)!

Pictures of the new design of neck and cap. Not having seen the old design I can't say how much it differs but the rubber gasket makes a nice seal and it looks pretty straight forward to fit.

http://thumbsnap.com/s/XkzvQmgL.jpg

http://thumbsnap.com/s/MvhchsqP.jpg

http://thumbsnap.com/s/98m6EszU.jpg

Edited by - grenpayne on 10 Oct 2011 20:07:11

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

All fitted some weeks ago and took it our for a blat last weekend, and all seemed fine. Used about 3/4 tank of fuel and put it back in the garage.

Tonight, I've just filled up and there was quite a big woosh of air, I presume into the tank, when I took the filler cap off. Should I be worried that the one-way vent valve is sticking and not doing it's job or is this to be expected?

Edited by - grenpayne on 12 Nov 2011 17:09:52

Quoting BBL: 
Quoting Ian B: 
I've also found out why I can smell fuel as the breather p!sses it all out in LH turns

Had the same problem in 2004.

Another Caterham TADTS *rolleyes*

Well TADTS... UYFFIY (Until You Fix It Yourself)!

Are you going to let us know what the other 'F' stands for? 😬

Agreed Eugene thanks. I've just taken the valve apart and it did require a hard blow to get it to open. I've now adjusted the innards and it opens very easily now (I've removed the little spring 😬 ) with very little pressure.

I'll take the car out for a spin in the morning and see if that's fixed it *thumbup*