Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone gone X/flow to Duratec?

Rusty Bolthole

I'm considering the X/flow to Zetec vs the Duratec route. The Zetec route seems the obvious choice for ease but to get in the region of 220+ BHP is looking expensive. Since I use my car on track most of the time I'm not too bothered about the re-skinning and painting issue so the Duratec route may be actually more sensible long term.

Certainly lightness is important to me and I guess the Duratec is around 20kg lighter than Zetec (?)

I'd welcome any advice on the requirements, difficulties and potential costs, pros and cons etc

I went to Dutatec 4 years ago and have been very happy. Had a 1600 X flow with a 100 hp sprint motor to 200 hp duratec that does 10 mpg more running around (35MPG)and 16 mpg at Cadwell giving it penty of right foot! I just love the torque and it is very quiet until the Jenveys sing 😬

It's a good project . I did it myself and even resorted to make the engine mounts to save cash ( remember,from Yorkshire!)

It can get expensive as already mentioned on previous posts.

Duratec every time *thumbup*

If you see one stripped down its no contest

And the tuning potential far exceeds the Zetec

I was running 250 bhp on a standard bottom end with forged pistons throttle bodies and cams

Thats why Caterham went the Duratec route rather than Zetec

Zetec is the easy option and an unbelievable improvement on the X/flow, much more torque for easy overtaking, but....if you can afford Duratec go for it.

Should be dead easy to do, it fits, all the bits are off the shelf with Raceline at the end of the phone.

Umm Mr Hatter.. Caterham did 'do' Zetec but for American Market only cos they couldn't get k series into US . *tongue*

never needed to in Uk due to already having k series supplies but now those have run out they needed a new lump. Zetec stocks are very low hence sigma & duratec is a wise route to follow with massive stocks *smokin*

Mr Zetec large stocks or not the Duratec is way ahead if you are looking for an engine to tune

All you have to do is speak to the guys at the rolling roads etc

I think some will go the Zetec route due to the exhaust and intake being on the same side as the K Series, but its not that big a deal to sort out

Hey the diversity of powerplants and opinions makes it all very interesting and i dont think i have seen two cars the same yet

I went Zetec, and as Carl knows, it's no slouch 😬

My reason was to keep the X-Flow (VeganTune TC) feel to Eugene.

The Zetec is perfect in that regard. A bit rough round the edges. *eek*

The Duratec is great, but exhaust on the driver's side - never! 😔

And another spanner in the works;

have you considered Toyota 4AGE power? A standard 20v vvt 'black top' engine will deliver 165 bhp, and a conversion kit can be bought for circa £2400 + exhaust manifold.

And as far as I'm aware, the 4AGE engine is basically a Japanese BDA (prepares to be shot down in flames), and so fulfills the retro vs modern debate. *thumbup*