Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Top Tip - Changing Tax Disc in External Holder

Mort

I have one of the Caterham-supplied motorcycle type tax disc holders, which works very well, but which is a PITA when it's time to change the tax disc. These have a number of small bolts with Allen heads around the edge as a secure way of fixing the glass holder to the base.

I don't have a spanner that's the right size for the tiny nuts that are used, and it would, in any case, be difficult to use a spanner due to the limited space available between the body and the back of the tax disc holder - so in the past I have used a pair of needle-nose pliers. Not ideal, as you need to maintain a grip all the time, but it works after a fashion.

This time around I used a small pair of forceps that I bought from an auto jumble. These can be locked onto the small nuts, and then the Allen key can be used to remove the bolt, which makes the whole process very simple. Reversing the process for re-fitting, with the forceps again locked onto the nuts, makes positioning the nut very much easier, and a very fiddly job becomes quite straightforward.

Probably obvious to some of you, but I thought that I'd pass this on anyway as it may be of use to someone.

• Area Representative

My tax disc holder was not a Caterham supplied item but of the construction you mention. I think I took it off (it's on a stantion bolt) and put a socket on the back, the heads were a small allen key size. Regretably some of the ali bolts sheered off so I run with fewer than the proper number at the moment.

I'll have to find a m/c shop and replace the unit. If I can find a better design, I may give that a try.

I should perhaps add that I left the most awkward of the bolts in situ, and just loosened it slightly to allow the front part of the tax disc holder to swing down - so everything was still positioned correctly when I swung it back again.

Undo the big bolt it is held on with (screen stanchion bolt on my car). Take indoors. Change tax disc on kitchen table whilst drinking a cup of tea (optional).

Reassembly is the reverse of dismantling as it says in all the best manuals. Why make the job difficult?

Go to post office, buy tax-disc (or do it online), cut or tear around the perforations, place in wallet. Job done!

I used to laminate mine - but gave up when I rounded the nuts/hex-heads as in the earlier posts. Shortly thereafter, the entire m-cycle holder thing fell off (or was wrenched off) the car. I've never been challenged about the lack of a visible disc and am quite happy to take my chances given that I can present the disc on demand (not that you should need to given the ability to instantly interrogate the DVLA records by anyone who needs to know).

Quoting Mr Locust: 
Undo the big bolt it is held on with (screen stanchion bolt on my car). Take indoors. Change tax disc on kitchen table whilst drinking a cup of tea (optional).[pQuote]

Add in, use wife's eyebrow tweezers, so easier to extra/insert. Until wife finds you've done this, and they may be stuck in inopportune places 😳

I've got a screw together tax disc holder like the Halcyon one - disc sits in a rubber wallet, clear piece of plastic in-front, trapped together by the screw on front - as mentioned, some anti-sieze on the threads, and it's sorted. Doesn't leak, but even if it did, the tax disc inks seem to be waterproof from previous experience.

Bri