Click here if you are having website access problems ×

General clutch question

Garth

Drove my wife's EOS today and the clutch was 'juddery' on take off (no discernible shudder between other gears), but after a few miles and gear changes the shuddering disappeared. Still under warranty so would want to get VW to look at it - any ideas what might be causing it? 15,000 miles and almost 3 years old

Thanks

You have a warranty, use it. Clutch judder can be a warped plate or more usually contamionation. If the contamination isn't too bad then after a bit of use it smooths out. The truth is though that it doesn't really go away, it just smears about. If you have a proper leak it's not going to heal up.

It's dealer time and you will have the inestimable joy of dealing with VW service and after sales. Lucky you.

It is almost certainly the dual mass flywheel- this has happened to my last three VAG turbo diesel cars. Only apparent to begin with when cold and especially when reversing up a slope,gets progressively worse to the extent that even a VW dealer will admit something is wrong...

Having suffered a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) failure on my X-Type Diesel I can tell you that:

I only had 53k miles on the X (6 years old)

It cost £1900 to have put right at the Main Jag Dealers - 8hrs worth of work

Get it booked in for some TLC "quick, quick, now, now" (as my South African employers would say)

Ford, Pug, VW and a few others all use the same DMF, some Ford/Jag owners have replaced the DMF with one a "normal" clutch/fly wheel from a Transit...........

Mike

Quoting myothercarsa2cv: 
*arrowup* Get it replaced with a normal flywheel and clutch if you can *thumbup* DMF's suck almost as bad as run-flats... There's another can of worms *wink*

I suspect the X will be being chopped in for a Skoda Yeti next year - SWMBO thinks the X (Estate) is too "Big" (she means long really - the Yeti is 50cm shorter....), so I said OK: I get to choose the "toys" on the Yeti 😬

It is booked in! The trick is going to be getting VW to accept there is a problem. It took 2 years of fighting with Audi before they accepted there was a problem with the multitronic gearbox on our A6!

thanks for the comments

Edited by - Garth on 27 May 2011 11:42:44

• 2 weeks later...

Car been with VW for a couple of days and they can find 'no fault' which I am not surprised about given my previous experience with them.

Warranty runs out in 4 weeks. Have written to them about the problem so it is on record!

Anything else I could do at this stage??

Cheers

Get round there, chuck your teddies out of the pram and demand that the service manager comes out in the car with you until you have persuaded him that there is a problem. DO NOT take no for an answer, I have experience of VAG "service" or lack of it and I know they will take every opportunity to duck this issue until it's out of warranty and then swear black is white if it fails in 5 weeks time.