Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Filling Banner batteries with acid

Graham Sewell

I have a new dry Banner battery on its way complete with "acid pack" which I assume to mean a bottle with at least 1.6l of sulphuric acid.

What are sensible precautions to take when trying to fill the battery - any tips on not splashing me or the work surfaces? My first thoughts were to do in the kitchen sink so that (if bad thngs happen) there is plenty of water to rinse down with.

Are latex gloves sufficient - double wrap? Or do I need something a little stronger?

Dozy old f@rt mode going back to school days, I seem to recall dire warnings about not mixing water with concentrated sulphuric acid. If you need to do it then always add acid to the water otherwise it is likely to go off in your face.

I would assume however, like Graham, that what will be supplied will not need mixing with water and will be at the right concentration for the job. Might be worth having a look at the precautions here (with apologies for the spelling *wink* ). Presumably, being dangerous stuff, it will come with its own safety advice anyway.

It should come with full instructions. Battery acid isn't that concentrated which is good news as diluting it can be exciting. You need rubber gloves (Marigolds are fine), eye protection is obligatory and I don't just mean your specs, and a set of overalls. I would do it outside with a bucket of water to hand, that's enough. It's not THAT dangerous an operation. Pour it in, replace the plugs, wipe it down with a rag. Dump the rag in the water which you haven't needed because you are sensible, then rinse the Marigolds. Clean up and stick the thing in the car. Sneak the Marigolds back under the sink when you get a chance, the overalls will be fine for another day unless they are covered in acid, in which case if you don't wash them they will be in holes. Have a celebratory cup of tea. *smile*

I spoke with caterham parts today & the guy confirmed that there dry charged banner batteries are sold ready filled. They are delivered to them dry. *thumbup*

I also reserved a new windscreen. *rolleyes*

edit to say that the chap at caterham parts said they are ready filled if you go to Dartford & collect.

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 10 Mar 2011 21:12:44

If you want the battery and the acid at a good price, buy from here Pour the acid into a lipped beaker (milk jug *wink*) to make it easier to fill the cells, wear disposable gloves and eye protection and you'll be fine. Can't see why anyone would supply without the acid *confused*. These are properly packaged and sent via a proper courier

Edited by - Paul McKenzie on 10 Mar 2011 20:23:48

I tried Ruxley as well, but ended up trying to phone the order through as it would not allow a change of delivery address when it was accepting payment. At that point, I was told that they were out of stock.

So, I bought mine from Ebay for £59 plus shipping. That included 2l of acid pack and delivery was 3-4 days.

btw, filling the battery was a lot simpler than I thought it would be, but then still required about 4 hours on a charger to get it working.

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 15 Mar 2011 08:42:04