Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec oil pressure. I recon it might be a bit low.

The Pikey

Well that's a crock of **** for a start as you must know something as you built the Engine

STOP running yourself down

I was serious! Bolting the engine together was dead easy, just read the book and asked the right people plenty of questions. When things go wrong like the engine don't start cos I got the cams 180 deg out because I didn't get the BTDC and ATDC right or the oil pressure is not what other threads state then I really am stuck and because I really really really do "know nothing" *wink* Give me a birds nest of wiring and you won't find me asking any question though.. If blatchat wasn't around then I would not be building non standard Caterhams. I even termed my Busa Caterham as "the Caterham Blatchat built" !

jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 4 Feb 2011 23:00:05

Yes I know, but sorry creating a resistance (back pressure) will affect the efficiency of the pump. Doesn't really matter where a resistance is, whether it's on the suction or discharge side it will have an effect on the pump efficiency.

Also, Laminova's are not the most efficient method of dissipating heat from oil. In fact in this case it is heating Jason's oil which would also reduce the pressure.

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

How can the back pressure you refer to in the scavenge circuit caused by the laminova effect main oil gallery pressure? - the ciruits are totally seperate.

Agree that laminova are no the most effective method but are pretty good at certain temps, yes they are a full 2 way heat exchange offering heating of cold oil and cooling of hot oil, though as I said it's highly unlikely the oil temp has even topped 100 degrees and even base mineral oil will handle that.

Too young to be old !

There are in effect two separate pumps.... Most Laminovas are fitted in the return cct to the dry sump tank as is Jasons It WILL have NO effect on oil pressure.

Personally I think they are a great device promoting faster warm up and keeping oil temp within bounds and very close to water temp. I run a 1900 K 240BHP with 8K rev limit on a Dry sump with a Laminova It gives me no bother whatsoever whether In Death Valley USA or on Track changing drivers and constant use for up to 4 hrs.

My oil pressure drops very low on tick over on full 5w 40 synth But could go to 3 figures when cold if I accidentally pushed the revs too High. With nearly 7 ltrs of oil in a huge tank I am very glad for the quicker warm up I get with the Laminova.

Old enough to know better Senile enough not to care.

Its a fluid to fluid heat exchanger

Google it

The idea is to get the engine up to temp by heating the oil with the water, then pegging the oil temp to the water temp

Add a big radiator and bingo

No more Duratecs running cool and fast warm up

Oil temp is always slower to warm up that the water, not what you want as it increases engine wear

And if the laminova is fitted in the return pipe to the ds tank the oil flow is not restricted at all

😶‍🌫️

Mad Hatter The Dura Mentalist 😬 Carl @ Penn 7's *thumbup* Caution - May Contain Nuts !