Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Tank

Pendennis

This tank looks the same as mine, car is 97 SLR would this be the one *confused*

What does it hold *rolleyes* 8 gallons (36 litres) or 25 litres. I suspect it's more likely to be 36 litres but have never filled it so don't know *redface*

Help is appreciated *thumbup*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Ian,

I have an expired 55l bag tank.

You are of course welcome to borrow it. But as you may remember I'm in Denmark :-(

I suppose it could be sent with FedEX DHL or something, but would expect it to cost smaller fortune.

For your info Andy Wiltshire made me a special tank, gave him the dimensions I wanted and it worked out at 47 litres, so you can fill 40 litres as need approx 4-litres in the tank for pick up. Superb piece of work, shipped to me in Belgium at very reasonable cost. Fitted straight in, well almost anyway as made very small error. Loose very small amout of the boot space.

PJ

Peter

Could you post some more details of your larger tank ? I would like to increase tank capacity and 47l is a good size. I know Andy does a larger tank as a standard aftermarket fitment, but he gets the extra capacity by extending vertically into the bootspace. Do you have this tank or have you gone some other route ?

Angus

Ian

i've got a big tank fitted for JCC (prior to SEMSEC). Arch make them by putting two tanks together basically: fills most of the boot, but worth asking if they have one in stock as bottom fittings/connections are the same. i've run 90 mins at Snett without refuelling.

jerry

For touring and not racing, I went a slightly different route for my 9800 km drive in my S3 from Colorado USA to Alaska, two months ago.

I had a removable "jerry can" constructed of aluminium, somewhat triangular in profile, and designed to fit in the boot between the shock towers. It has a removable filler cap and a vent cap (loosened during filling), and a one-way vent with a snap coupling (outboard motorboat fuel fitting) that is hooked to a vent hose installed in the car, to vent any build-up of pressure while driving.

The jerry can is held in place between the shock towers by two safety-belt straps and scuba-diving buckles, which pass through metal loops (taken from car seat belt shoulder strap keepers) that are bolted to the underside of longer versions of the Caterham shoulder harness bolts.

When my main tank gets low on fuel, I stop, remove the jerry can from the boot, and re-fill the main tank. The jerry can holds 4.4 gallons (US), and weighs 11 pounds, empty.

Alaskossie

Angus, it is similar to the Large tank Andy makes. Looked at other "shapes" but this seemed the best. Compared to the removed S3 tank: both 80cm wide, 23cm back to front but S3 tank 24.5cm deep at front and 16.5cm deep at rear, New one 29cm at front and 23.5 at rear. The bottom ange of the new tank is much flatter, subtract the above and new tank is 4.5 cm deeper at front and 7 cm at rear. Had to drop the underneath tank supports on the car at the rear so tank was correctly positioned,(not sure if the LHD chassis with Swiss exhaust, cross mounted rear silencer, was different from standard at the rear, I know at that time chassis were not common for L and RHD).Also filler flange needs to be placed approx 3cm rearwards to line up with filler pipe and the flange to be only 2 cm high.

Modifying the bottom tank location is very straight forward and it means the tank only sits 4.5cm higher than original. Rear ramp angle is fine and I covered the small amount of exposed part of lower rear of tank with strip os aluminium ,painted black in my case. You do not notice it.

Yes you need to raise the floor over tank area, but it leaves nice dropped area for tools and esential spares in the old floor from tank to rear bullhead.

Still leaves approx 22 cm of space from new floor to underneath torneau cover. Now means on touring can typically refill at 400 km intervals. If racing...well work it out!

PJ