Click here if you are having website access problems ×

12v power socket installation

paulmaley

Hi, can anyone point me towards the best method to install a 12v power socket onto Sigma powered car please? I ticked the option box on the order form when the car was new but all I seem to have is the socket (no wiring) & no instructions. All feedback welcome...

Cheers, Paul

Call Caterham in the morning to ask how they do it on factory cars. Sometimes there's a spare fuse in the fuse box you can tap into. Otherwise, simply run a fused wire from battery to positive, and a wire back to the battery negative. Mine is the latter.

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

Mine was fitted above the passengers feet on the heater panel. The hole came out about 3 inches from the battery and wired via a 15a fuse direct to the battery.

Mine is exactly the same. Hardly seems worth the £40 they charged to fit it, and the 12v socket that they fitted isn't even waterproofed. *rolleyes* I suggest that you go to a marine chandler and buy one that is designed for a boat.

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!

Edited by - Mort on 23 Aug 2010 10:38:35

The sigma loom is already wired for a power socket. The fuse is "O" , that is the 15th from the right in the fuse panel, should be 10 amp. The wire from the fuse is purple and red and runs from under the dash along the transmission tunnel to a connector just above the diff.

Caterham have fitted some sockets between the drivers seats, hence the position of the connector. I didn't like this position so traced the purple/red wire from the fuse to just above the entry to the transmission tunnel, and cut it at his point (after having removed the fuse!). I then pull the wire back from the fuse box end and redirected it a 12v waterproof socket I had positioned at the left hand end of the dash. I used a nearby earth point for the -ve.

This gives a permenantly on 12v socket, and uses the intended wiring in the loom. *smile*

For reference, not all looms end up with the 12v socket wiring run back to the diff area. Mine at least ended up with the tails folded up and cable tied behind the dash, tucked up out of the way. Took me ages to find!

Martyn

R300GRR

My Sigma had the tails near the diff, so I connected there and ran back a new cable pair through the tunnel to a 3-way socket which I fixed under the dash above the passenger foot-well. I left the tails in the diff area just in case I needed 12V behind the seats for an intercom or hair dryer or cappuccino machine for Mrs Jeffi.

Buy a 4 way adaptor frmo Halfords or equivalent.

Chop plug off. Wire, with fuse, direct to battery (mine goes via a new feed to a new auxilary fusebook - for the socket, the heated seats, the autocom etc).

Then you can use the sat nav, the MP3, charge a phone and still have one left for that thing the other half brings . . .

The 4- way socket is tye-wraped to the heater casing, just above the tunnel - within belted up reach, but out of the way.

Bri

I did the Bricol route...I wasn't sure about fuses so I got one that already had the fuse in-line.

It's just velcro'd onto the tunnel top under the dash. Its deliberately temporary so I could remove it if I didn't want it and/or it breaks or whatever...

edited to add it is permanently wired on, but I put a connector into the cable so I can disconnect it if its being left for long periods...hopefully the best of both worlds...

(it has a small led that may or may not be enough to run down the battery over time)

---

my mind is blank....

Edited by - irrotational on 25 Aug 2010 16:19:27

• 6 months later...

Prob a very basic question relating to this but I have a 12v socket wired straight to the battery. The cable used to run through a hole meant for holding the inertia switch to the bulk head but as I have now put the inertia switch back no the bulk head I now need to route the wire through the hole in the tunnel.

Is there any way to do this without removing the tunnel top? Its obviously only a thin wire and seems a lot of hassle go removing the tunnel top just for this.

*arrowup* Beat me to it *smile*On my SV I ran a Optimate socket wire tail through the hole in front of the gear lever into the engine bay. It's a tight fit but went through with a bit of pressure applied.Then connected to an Optimate fused connection to the battery. Quite a neat job, If I say so myself. It gives you a couple of options for connecting the Optimate and for charging a phone or connecting a sat nav etc.

Edited by - Jerry on 15 Mar 2011 18:13:26