Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter stopping!

Ian Barkley

On the Le Mans trip last year, a couple of guys had problems with the K series starter. It turned out to be a dry joint on the starter cables. My mate took his car back to Caterham, who re-soldered the connections. The other guy, carried a wooden spoon, when he wanted to start, he got his mate to prod the cable, whilst he turned the car over.

Maybe a red herring,

Robert

I suppose that would solve the breckie problems when arriving at track days, just pop the bacon and eggs under the hearders before setting off and presto all done when you get there. Perhaps there could be a special bracket like the "curry hook" that Japanese cars now seem to think is essential equipment on new cars "The caterham bacon bracket (also broils fish)"

It can be done. I recall watching a programme on tv a few years ago about drivers in the US cooking full meals on their exhaust manifolds. Not just bacon but steak, potatoes etc etc. Now with a Caterham you have just the facility with the silencer as a hot plate and warmer.Look at Yahoo under manifold cooking. Very ineresting if you've got nowt better to do. Maybe anorak could now be replaced by Sad Git

I remember, many years ago, CCC doing an article on 'exhaust manifold cooking' just prior to the 'Lombard RAC rally' (God that dates me!!) - it ranged from 30 minutes for a baked potato to 5 milliseconds for a hand sad.gif .

This dates back to the days of the Audi Quattro, Ford RS200, Rover 6R4, etc....

Cheers,

Graham

Have just seen a chap 'round at the local motion lotion store pouring an egg onto the rocker box. Thought he'd read this thread too much & was having a trial run, but the trail of water under the car was a giveaway: he was aiming for the raw egg to go into the radiator to fix the leak!!!

Thanks Dominic - I can't 'see' any fault with the leads, like any intermittent fault its hard to know what's wrong. When it is hot the starter does not move at all, when it's cooled, it turns the car over easily.

Could there be any link with the mysterious ECU?

As regards the culinary prearation properties of a slightly overheated 7... my partner is a vegitarian so the aroma of frying bacon fat or sizzling kippers is not popular! Have you any suggestions for anything more exciting that boiling the lentils?

Ian B

My SLR suffered from the same problem. Perfect starting from cold. Never started when hot. Caterham will sell youa guarenteed starter motor that will always work. 3500 miles later and the new one has not let me down. Should really be fitted as standard. But why spoil a good spares business!

Andrew